Main Menu

Aston Martin Vulcan

Started by Busato, June 13, 2016, 07:35:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Busato

Having followed the lovely work of others on this forum for the past 2-3 months, I figured it was time to start producing some work myself. I have been away from 3D for the last eight or so years and just recently jumped back in. We selected Keyshot at work due to its ability to happily gobble up countless different 3D formats from our engineering departments and clients. I was so impressed with the software I ended up buying a copy for my own machine at home. I have been using the software mainly for studio style renders of individual car parts at work, but this is the first time I really gave rendering a whole car and placing in a scene a go.

Its worth noting that I come from a photographic background, having shot commercial/motorsport/event photos for several car brands for the last 6 years. Prior to that I got into rendering via maxwell way back in its beta days.

I will mention where I got my model from as the artist was super helpful with some small requests I had:
https://www.cgtrader.com/3d-models/car/racing/aston-martin-vulcan-2016--2

Aston Martin Vulcan CGI 1080px
by Nick Busato, on Flickr

TpwUK

syrom

Looks great! I noticed you said u used maxwell.  Thats my main render at the moment and love its UI. Lets you control everything.  I recently found KS through a friend.  Got to say its a fresh of a good breath due to its speed. Maxwell takes a while as you know.lol. so im trying to see if ks can replace it. I will say for priduct modeling, KS is beautiful and fast! But for interiors,if its a very high polygon interior scene... it slows down like maxwell i noticed. But for simple interiors, ks is king in speed!

Busato

Quote from: syrom on June 13, 2016, 11:42:20 AM
Looks great! I noticed you said u used maxwell.  Thats my main render at the moment and love its UI. Lets you control everything.  I recently found KS through a friend.  Got to say its a fresh of a good breath due to its speed. Maxwell takes a while as you know.lol. so im trying to see if ks can replace it. I will say for priduct modeling, KS is beautiful and fast! But for interiors,if its a very high polygon interior scene... it slows down like maxwell i noticed. But for simple interiors, ks is king in speed!

I am far from an expert on the subject, but my guess is that the more unbiased you make your render in keyshot the closer (and greater the calculations needed) the software comes inline with maxwell. I find that Keyshot is super well optimized to work with HDRI sources, as a result you can get 95%-98% the quality of results of say maxwell in 1/100 - 1/10th the time. Understanding how to cheat looks that better suit the render pipeline of keyshot really lets you maximize your productivity and results. Not only is render time vastly improved, but best of all so is setup time. You can rapidly apply and adjust materials in realtime with far more intuitive camera, position and etc tools. I think in the production environment the feasibility of maxwell is a non starter at least at the automotive/engineering firm I work at.  Its the speed and support of engineering software solutions that made it a clear winner for me over all of the competition.

In short, I have never used keyshot until roughly last month. With my limited experience I was able to sit down and in less than two hours have not only a finished render, but one complete with my typical post work AND have no one in my office realize its a render speaks volumes. For what its worth I think I let this render run for just under a hour on a totally maxed out spec MBP R 15inch.

syrom

Yeah.... love how you can instantly see the changes on the viewport. Maxwell has fire but i rather have what ks has. One thing ks is behind is on how to smoothly navigate through a very high poly count scene. Even putting it in performance mode, it can slow down. Sure ks has the geometry window, i guess thats a good direction.

Busato

Quote from: syrom on June 13, 2016, 12:31:27 PM
Yeah.... love how you can instantly see the changes on the viewport. Maxwell has fire but i rather have what ks has. One thing ks is behind is on how to smoothly navigate through a very high poly count scene. Even putting it in performance mode, it can slow down. Sure ks has the geometry window, i guess thats a good direction.

Geometry window is a life saver when I have to deal with other peoples exported files.

In terms of issues with high poly counts, I have not had problems as of yet. With that said, a proxy based object would be a really nice feature for KS7.

syrom

Quote from: Busato on June 13, 2016, 12:41:38 PM
Quote from: syrom on June 13, 2016, 12:31:27 PM

Geometry window is a life saver when I have to deal with other peoples exported files.

In terms of issues with high poly counts, I have not had problems as of yet. With that said, a proxy based object would be a really nice feature for KS7.

Really? Yours dont sliw down to like 10 or less fps? I tried ks on 3 different machines including one running on a i7 with 16gigs or ram and even that slows down on performance mode. Im sure it does for you too but maybe you are used to it? Even in the webinars, i see the frame drops. Im used to smooth movement maxwell has given me for years i think.

Josh3D

Hey Nick. Welcome to the KeyShot forum. Absolutely gorgeous shot and love the saturated colors and feel. Look forward to seeing more!

Nils Piirma

Amazed by the quality and the fact that you came from a photographic backround to just quite literally shock and awe us in terms of rendering quality and post. Awesome. I'd like to see what's your next image that will slap our faces to the monitors.

Hossein Alfideh

Quote from: Busato on June 13, 2016, 07:35:41 AM
Having followed the lovely work of others on this forum for the past 2-3 months, I figured it was time to start producing some work myself. I have been away from 3D for the last eight or so years and just recently jumped back in. We selected Keyshot at work due to its ability to happily gobble up countless different 3D formats from our engineering departments and clients. I was so impressed with the software I ended up buying a copy for my own machine at home. I have been using the software mainly for studio style renders of individual car parts at work, but this is the first time I really gave rendering a whole car and placing in a scene a go.

Its worth noting that I come from a photographic background, having shot commercial/motorsport/event photos for several car brands for the last 6 years. Prior to that I got into rendering via maxwell way back in its beta days.

I will mention where I got my model from as the artist was super helpful with some small requests I had:
https://www.cgtrader.com/3d-models/car/racing/aston-martin-vulcan-2016--2

Aston Martin Vulcan CGI 1080px
by Nick Busato, on Flickr

wow this is stunning! Love everything about it ... good luck!

Busato

Quote from: nilspiirma3d on June 14, 2016, 08:57:01 AM
Amazed by the quality and the fact that you came from a photographic backround to just quite literally shock and awe us in terms of rendering quality and post. Awesome. I'd like to see what's your next image that will slap our faces to the monitors.

Thanks mate, it was yours along with a few others work that I had been following in the last 2-3 months. It really helped to get me up to speed along with also showing me just how good keyshot could be. With such high praise, I am almost scared to start my next project... it will be hard to follow up on this one I think haha. Its just a shame it may be a while before I can do any personal projects again. I have a bunch of cool things in the works here at the office in keyshot but it may be many months or indefinitely before I can share that stuff due to its nature.

Anyways prior to taking taking a desk job working for a specialized automotive constructor and engineering firm,  I was working full time as a photographer for several car brands. If you are interested in my photographic background take a look at the link below:
http://nickbusato.photoshelter.com/gallery-collection/2016-Port/C0000arB.FxB7uGQ

Quote from: Josh Mings on June 14, 2016, 08:22:53 AM
Hey Nick. Welcome to the KeyShot forum. Absolutely gorgeous shot and love the saturated colors and feel. Look forward to seeing more!
I was happily surprised how well the keyshot took some colour grading. Its funny when editing these renders, I try and add flaws into them to make them more real. Yet in photography we are always trying to remove these same issues.