Main Menu

Flash Light render

Started by syrom, June 13, 2016, 09:31:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

syrom

Ok..... this is Thea using Presto (MC) engine. Took 1:45 seconds to get to this. Not bad.

syrom

ok...... looking at all the renders now I noticed the KS one is too yellow. So i fixed it by leaving the full simulation at full default but dropped the ray bounce from 24 to 3 and that reduced the yellow tint the wood was giving off. Ill keep that in mind for future flash type renders! Heres the result from KS.

TpwUK

So far i think KS has the better looking result despite producing hot pixels.

Martin

Despot

I always loved the flashlight lighting style, they were very avant garde when they first appeared years ago weren't they ?...  used the effect myself a few times in MW, very cool indeed

Great comparisons by the way, the KeyShot version looks very nice.

syrom

After looking at the renders.....  im leaning towards maxwells as the closest to reality. The KS does come rather very close though. I though it was not going to be doable really. So im pleased and the results are very impressive for its own speed.

syrom

Quote from: Despot on June 14, 2016, 01:08:53 AM
I always loved the flashlight lighting style, they were very avant garde when they first appeared years ago weren't they ?...  used the effect myself a few times in MW, very cool indeed

Great comparisons by the way, the KeyShot version looks very nice.

I remember seeing my first flash type render, its what got me into maxwell. But yeah, it was a amazing experience looking at a render that looked so real.

DriesV

I think by and large the difference between these images comes down to a difference in tone mapping in the renderers that produced them.

Maxwell uses different response curves for the final rendered output, so direct comparisons with KeyShot are tricky. :)

Dries

syrom

Quote from: DriesV on June 14, 2016, 09:29:08 AM
I think by and large the difference between these images comes down to a difference in tone mapping in the renderers that produced them.

Maxwell uses different response curves for the final rendered output, so direct comparisons with KeyShot are tricky. :)

Dries

Yup... its hard to get it exactly 100% identical. Its just the algorithms of each package. But they come close. Im rather still new to ks so im not exploiting its full potential. But... im still working on it and its improved by 25% more. Ill post once im done tweaking it further. Im also fixing some geometry, chamfering edges and adding a a thing or two to bring in more shadow. Only thing i cant get to work is importing a maxwell camera. No matter what import format that i use, ks wont import the camera. I tend to use .obj and checked the import camera option and it still dont work. Odd. So im just eye balling the camera.

syrom

ok..... heres the final. only ran it for 20 minutes and it needs more time but want to show it since im leaving my station atm. pretty damn good i think.

Despot

Nice, but to get rid of those weird horizontal lines, render using maximum time or samples

syrom

Quote from: Despot on June 17, 2016, 11:00:54 AM
Nice, but to get rid of those weird horizontal lines, render using maximum time or samples

Yup... only ran it for 20min. 1 hour cleans it up.

syrom

ok..... i let it run for 2 hours. cleaned up 100%.a few hot pixels popped up but oh well. I did change the material for the ceiling light... maybe thats the culprit. time to move on. thx for the feedback.

Esben Oxholm

Hi Syrom.
It's looking pretty cool.

I was wondering about the position of the 'flash' relative to the camera.
Do you have it above the 'lens' as they are typically positioned on real cameras?
It looks like it's a bit below at the moment, but it might just be me :)

syrom

ok... did a sun version of it. this the last.

syrom

Quote from: Esben Oxholm on June 18, 2016, 01:51:37 AM
Hi Syrom.
It's looking pretty cool.

I was wondering about the position of the 'flash' relative to the camera.
Do you have it above the 'lens' as they are typically positioned on real cameras?
It looks like it's a bit below at the moment, but it might just be me :)

Good eye.It should be 1 inch higher if its a dslr and 1 inch to the righ if its a standard point and shoot. I panned back so you see where its at. Currently its almost center of the camera. I think ill fix it.