Main Menu

Flash Light render

Started by syrom, June 13, 2016, 09:31:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

syrom

ok.... wanted to try one of those flashlight renders with keyshot. It came out nice i think. Its not fully complete but then again i will just post it. Being a maxwell render users I wanted to see if KS can indeed do tis and yeah, it can. What do you all think?

TpwUK

That's not too bad at all if it's just the one light and black HDRi - Not sure what's causing the hot pixels so there is till more tweaking to do :)

Martin

syrom

Quote from: TpwUK on June 13, 2016, 09:41:42 AM
That's not too bad at all if it's just the one light and black HDRi - Not sure what's causing the hot pixels so there is till more tweaking to do :)

Martin

your are right.... didnt really catch the hot pixel. i let it render all night on the work window and just screen shot it. Maybe rendering outside might fix it? But yes, its only one tiny sphere inside a shiny metal box. looks even better with a slight bloom added from PS. Ill post it.

syrom

here is one with a slight bloom to it.

Esben Oxholm

Hi Syrom.
Think it looks better without the bloom.

I think adding a bump map (noise or noise fractal) to the table tiles would help improve the realism. At the moment the reflections are way to perfect. Also try playing around with a roughness map if you have access to the material graph.

I now you can push it further!

syrom

for comparison, heres one from maxwell. 1 hour render time so its noisy.

syrom

Quote from: Esben Oxholm on June 13, 2016, 10:59:40 AM
Hi Syrom.

I think adding a bump map (noise or noise fractal) to the table tiles would help improve the realism. At the moment the reflections are way to perfect. Also try playing around with a roughness map if you have access to the material graph.

yup..... i just started yesterday evening and it requires a little tweaking like the bump for the reflection and a few other things and it can be a very hyper realistic shot. ill play with it later.

syrom

Currently exporting the scene to Thea. I want to see how that render performs. Ill post it but not sure if mods allow other render works.

syrom

Quote from: Esben Oxholm on June 13, 2016, 10:59:40 AM
Hi Syrom.

I do have the material graph. How would that help? I never really played with it.

TpwUK

Turning into am interesting thread ....

When this scene says Flashlight render i am now wondering if you mean torch or flash light as in camera flash. If you are doing torch type flashlight it would probably work better with an appropriate IES file.

@Syrom - Posting other render engines results for comparison purposes is fine as far as i am aware :)

Martin

syrom

Quote from: TpwUK on June 13, 2016, 04:11:33 PM
Turning into am interesting thread ....

When this scene says Flashlight render i am now wondering if you mean torch or flash light as in camera flash. If you are doing torch type flashlight it would probably work better with an appropriate IES file.

@Syrom - Posting other render engines results for comparison purposes is fine as far as i am aware :)

Martin

Nice! Ive done comparisons  renders before here. But just making sure again. On this render, flash as in a dslr camera flash. Not the torch type. Basic shiny metallic rectangle box with a sphere inside with a high white emitter on the sphere itself. I will improve the textures further and maybe add a few more items to see wha I get.

syrom

i got this with Thea render. A total of 0:24 seconds to render. Thats 24 seconds!  lol.   But man how much I hate the UI. Also I used the Presto Engine, a hybrid GPU+CPU based solution. What bummed me out was how I couldnt get the light to glow stronger on the tiles in the front to get that blown out flash effect. If i increased it it just lights up the rum too much leading to a less flash effect output. But interresting output though for only 24 seconds.

syrom

Ok... just tried Thea again but using its TR1 engine in which is as fast as my pet snail. Pretty much its like maxwell using this TR1 engine. But.... its giving me a way better flash lighting over exposure like ks or maxwell. So its Presto engine is lightning fast but not all real world calculations are bring processed.ill post the image once its done.
Syrom

syrom

Btw... see that knife on the wall? Id like to use it on Thea's UI. :p

syrom

OK.. Here is the Thea in its TR1 engine at 2 hours render time. Looks very similar to Maxwell.