Main Menu

Fade object

Started by JBird, June 16, 2016, 12:03:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JBird

I'm coming from bunkpseed and there is an option to "fade" an object.  This is such a powerful feature and there seems to be no easy way to do this without doing nodal trickery.  Example images attached.

Robb63

Hi JBird,
If you mean can you animate a fade? Then yes, Right click the object go to animation and select fade. Adjust as needed.

JBird

No not animate. I've made another post about this and got a very useful answer but it is not an easy task. You see how with the fade checked you still see the reflection but not the object.

LayC42

JBird

@LayC42

Yes but look at everything he had to do just to make that work! now look at mine, all I did was check a box and that is my point and what I am requesting.

bdesign

Here is a revised, better version of the technique from the previous thread: https://www.keyshot.com/forum/index.php?topic=12745.msg62516#msg62516, which now works with all objects (not just the ground plane), and additionally allows toggling cast shadows on/off. It replaces the [Surface Backside Mask>(Source)Color Invert] section with a Color To Number node (with the "Output From" value = 1), and adds an additional Emissive material upstream in the node network, for toggling shadows with the "Visible to Shadows" option. An object's primary visibility is toggled on/off by disabling/enabling the Color To Number node within its Material Graph network. Here are some example renders along with a link to the .ksp file for "dissection" as requested by JBird.

http://www.filedropper.com/osrtoggle

Cheers,
Eric

LayC42

@bdesign
Really good!

@JBird
You're right. The manual work is much more than hit one checkbox. But you do this manual work just one time and then you can save this in your library.
Maybe Luxion will build this check box if it's necessary. But it's similar to other software - you can build thousands of buttons or prepare a toolkit. (and that's still my personal humble opinion)

Happy POETSday

LayC42

Quote from: JBird on June 16, 2016, 12:03:18 PM
I'm coming from bunkpseed and there is an option to "fade" an object.  This is such a powerful feature and there seems to be no easy way to do this without doing nodal trickery.  Example images attached.

Please don't get me wrong - do you have a render example, when this feature is needful?
I just wanna understand.

JBird

Eric you are a freaking keyshot ninja! Thank you so much!

JBird

So I downloaded the scene today and pretty much everything works as excepted but when I hide the ground I can't get the entire background to be any other color but black? What if I wanted that to be white, purple blue etc?