Network Rendering CPU difference.

Started by ultima, June 29, 2016, 09:44:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ultima

Hi I have 2-4 computers i'm using together for network rendering, some 12 core some 2 core, one thing i notice is that the faster CPU always finishes their regions first,and the scene seems to be only divide up to mostly 2 region in the many scenes i've tried, so 2 things will happen,

one the faster cpu seems to get a bigger portion of the scene, it will continue to render, while the one that already finished it's assigned scene will jump in to try to finish the same region, and it'll never catch up so i was wondering is it rendering duplicated region? and if so isn't that efforts wasted since it'll never catch up?

2nd scenario, one cpu is just so fast, it catches up and finishes rendering both region, thus all other cpu progress are useless.

why is the region devision work this way? shouldn't the hanging cpu start to work on other scene or the progress gets re-distributed when one cpu is free thus making a joint effort on a sub region?

or am i reading the progress wrong.

ultima

the only reasonable setup for this to work as it seems is if all the CPU has the same speed. but that's rarely the case or.. i'd imagine not be the case in majority or a relatively large portion of the users setup.

guest84672

It also depends on the size of the image you are rendering. Each slave renders 2 regions at a time. The more regions there are to render the more likely it is that the slower CPU will have an effect and finish rendering a region.

In general there is little to no benefit to have a setup like that, though. You might be better off leaving the 2 core machine out of your setup to avoid any potential slowdown.

ultima

two of the slave is a 12 core (24 thread) 3.46ghz and a 4 core (8 thread) 3.7ghz and the 4 core finish it's region much faster than the 12 core and attempt to render the region that the 12 core is rendering that seems just like wasted energy and effort, isn't there a more elegant solution?

guest84672

Not all regions have the same level of complexity.

ultima

still, it would be a lot more efficient if the different slave worked on different region or for the region to be subdivided after one slave finishes with it's own right? wouldn't that increase the render speed significantly?

guest84672

The slaves do work on different regions. You can't subdivide a region that is being rendered without starting over. That wouldn't necessarily make sense. But once a slave is finished and there is no region left it will grab a region and render it.

ultima

so i've been testing more complex scene, and now i notice the the rendering cores slows down ( or rather uses less core) as they get closer to completing, ( linearly)  is this normal?

ultima

is keyshot able to adjust rendering algorithem remotely of individual accounts?

guest84672

Yes - that is normal.

I don't understand your second question.