In the leaf image background should be transparent, but it looks black

Started by Zvi, July 03, 2016, 02:01:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zvi

I use models of a trees with leaves, which each leaf  is a picture of a leaf. In the leaf image background should be transparent, but it looks black, as shown in the attached image.

TpwUK

Copy leaf material to the Opacity slot and set as alpha or colour depending on the image format used.
Increase the number of bounces to get rid of black areas that may still be present after the Opacity has been set.

Leaves look better with Translucency material types

Martin

Zvi

Quote from: TpwUK on July 03, 2016, 02:33:44 AM
Copy leaf material to the Opacity slot and set as alpha or colour depending on the image format used.
Increase the number of bounces to get rid of black areas that may still be present after the Opacity has been set.

Leaves look better with Translucency material types

Martin
Thank you. Can you explain to me in detail how to do it?

Zvi

Zvi

What is the best material and its settings for such billboard leaves and trunk?

TpwUK

Usually trees and shrubs etc come with their materials and textures provided. If you have created your own then you can find leaf textures on the internet, you need any that have transparency so, Tiff, TGA, PNG, GIF etc etc.

Billboards are a little different to me, a billboard is a flat 2D image with transparency that you apply to a plane and then you position the plane and angle it to suit.

Am I misunderstanding something ?

Martin

Zvi

Quote from: TpwUK on July 03, 2016, 02:51:24 PM
Usually trees and shrubs etc come with their materials and textures provided. If you have created your own then you can find leaf textures on the internet, you need any that have transparency so, Tiff, TGA, PNG, GIF etc etc.

Billboards are a little different to me, a billboard is a flat 2D image with transparency that you apply to a plane and then you position the plane and angle it to suit.

Am I misunderstanding something ?

Martin
Thank you Martin.
My imported tree has such billbored leaves, and in KeyShot it appears with Advanced material. So I was wandering if it is the best material for that purpose?

TpwUK

Ok - Now i understand, change the Advanced material type to be Translucent or Translucent(Advanced) - You will take a hit in render speed but will gain greater realism.

Martin

Zvi

Quote from: TpwUK on July 03, 2016, 10:19:09 PM
Ok - Now i understand, change the Advanced material type to be Translucent or Translucent(Advanced) - You will take a hit in render speed but will gain greater realism.

Martin
Martin, thank you again. You are so fast.
I noticed that with the Translucent (Advanced) the leaves looks brighter.

TpwUK

You're welcome, if you need more realism use something like CrazyBump to create specular and Normals maps. Sample result here is a 2.5 million polygon common sycamore tree with Normals and Specular maps created from the original leaf map that came with the model, but the Diffuse and Opacity are modified to give a proper transparency/alpha.

Translucency(Advanced) material type with Translucency set to 3 and a ten minutes render time. Tree trunk is set to plastic and roughness set to 0.3. Hdri used is the forest road one provided in KS for lighting and the background is obviously set to white in the environment tab.

Martin