Blending copper with thin film

Started by Zvi, July 05, 2016, 12:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zvi

How can I achieve this metal material? I thought of blending copper with thin film.
If it is the best way   - how can I do this blending?

Will Gibbons

Hey Zvi,

I'd actually approach this by layering. The material graph works by layering materials as labels. I would try creating a very high-resolution label in Photoshop or something similar. Start with a magenta/blue color on transparent background. The areas you want the brass to show through should be highly transparent. You could achieve this by selectively erasing your patina. You can look up how to create grunge textures in PS to come by ideas on how to create the label.

Once the label is created, just add it to your brass in KeyShot and adjust it as necessary in KeyShot. You may want to set the label type to metal to have the same reflectivity as your brass. Hope that helps.

Zvi

Quote from: Will Gibbons on July 05, 2016, 12:57:08 PM
Hey Zvi,

I'd actually approach this by layering. The material graph works by layering materials as labels. I would try creating a very high-resolution label in Photoshop or something similar. Start with a magenta/blue color on transparent background. The areas you want the brass to show through should be highly transparent. You could achieve this by selectively erasing your patina. You can look up how to create grunge textures in PS to come by ideas on how to create the label.

Once the label is created, just add it to your brass in KeyShot and adjust it as necessary in KeyShot. You may want to set the label type to metal to have the same reflectivity as your brass. Hope that helps.
Thank you Will.
I think I found another way.

Will Gibbons

Sure. There's definitely more than one way to go about this. Depends on how much time you want to spend on it and the desired result. Glad you found a solution that works.