Fastest way to render multiple configurations of Solidworks model

Started by NationalCalaman, July 12, 2016, 06:34:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NationalCalaman

I have render many configurations of a solidworks model. I am hoping that there is a way to quickly import the different configs in a way that automatically applies all settings the same and adds the files to the rending queue. The parts are relatively simple and the resolution requirements are rather small. (think catalog thumbnails). Any help, especially timely would be greatly appreciated!

Will Gibbons

There's no way to automate this process. Maybe with custom scripting, but not sure about that.

To answer your question, the fastest way would be to install the KeyShot plugin for SolidWorks and when you've got a configuration active, hit the 'Render in KeyShot' button, which will import the model, bypassing the export from SW and import from KS dialogue.

Hope that saves you some time.

NM-92

If your configurations are not too complex, i suggest you use different scene sets for each one and reorganize your geometry within Keyshot. That way you'll get to work on one single file, and you have everything more organized. Besides, you can adjust things like illumination and material tweaks based on the current configuration to suit all your particular needs. Here is a video explaining a bit more on this method. Hope it helps !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsbAnGhwSBg

Speedster

I work multiples a bit differently, and the process is quite successful and fast.

Create your configurations as usual in SolidWorks.  Then open a new assembly and drop in the first configuration.  Then drop in the same, as many times as needed, and mate each of them to the original model.  Then (in SW) assign the correct configuration to each assembly.

The new top assembly will look awful!  But don't worry. 

Now import this matrix assembly into KeyShot, and hide all but the prime configuration assembly.  Apply materials, etc. as usual.  You will find that the materials will have been applied globally, assuming you did not rename anything back when you created the configurations.

Now Hide/Show in KeyShot to suit and render each.

Sounds way more complicated than it is!  The main advantage is that it's really easy to edit or modify when your client calls in six months and asks for "this one and that one, in different views"!

Bill G

Will Gibbons

Quote from: Speedster on July 13, 2016, 09:27:17 AM
I work multiples a bit differently, and the process is quite successful and fast.

Create your configurations as usual in SolidWorks.  Then open a new assembly and drop in the first configuration.  Then drop in the same, as many times as needed, and mate each of them to the original model.  Then (in SW) assign the correct configuration to each assembly.

Now import this matrix assembly into KeyShot, and hide all but the prime configuration assembly.  Apply materials, etc. as usual.  You will find that the materials will have been applied globally, assuming you did not rename anything back when you created the configurations.

Sounds way more complicated than it is!  The main advantage is that it's really easy to edit or modify when your client calls in six months and asks for "this one and that one, in different views"!

Bill G

Another vote for this ^^ Just know the file size might get pretty hefty depending on how big your assemblies are in SW. Nice suggestion Bill.

NationalCalaman

Thanks guys. I completed a large portion of the work and am learning a lot. There was a script posted in the scripting thread that worked wonders after using the plug in to export the .bip files.  Bill, I am going to try your suggestion below for the next bunch. Again...thank you all very much. Nothing like learning new software on a tight deadline!

Quote from: Speedster on July 13, 2016, 09:27:17 AM

Bill G