Rendered 3D stereoscopic image for Gear VR or Google Cardboard

Started by aptyler, July 15, 2016, 07:58:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aptyler

Has anyone tried creating static stereoscopic rendered images using KeyShot for either Samsung Gear VR or Google Cardboard viewers? I'm assuming that it would be a matter of generating 2x renders of the same scene with a slight horizontal shift, and then stitching them together (side-by-side maybe?) in post processing. If somebody has already successfully developed a workflow, I would love to hear about it. Thanks!

eobet

Am I missing something, or why did Keyshot name their new render option "VR" if it practically does everything except actually render to any commercially available VR device?

guest84672

KeyShotVR has been around for several years, way before all this "VR hype" started.

eobet

Really? Well, I do actually now see one single menu entry for it in Keyshot 5, but it is greyed out and I have no idea how to activate it, and I've never even noticed it before.

Either way, it doesn't matter. VR stands for one thing today (and have for many years too), and Keyshot can't really claim its something else. So I really hope they add VR device support, or rename the feature. Otherwise, one could say that it's deceptive marketing...

Can't this feature already render a 360 sphere? All they need is to add a second render for stereoscopy and then output it to a format that Gear and cardboard understands.

eobet

Great. We just bought Keyshot 6, which also touted this VR feature which isn't actually VR at all.

And now we apparently have to buy Keyshot 7 to actually get it*:

http://www.cgchannel.com/2016/11/sneak-peek-keyshot-7/

* (I see now that it says buy or upgrade 6 to get 7... but no details...)

DriesV

@ eobet:

We have never pretended KeyShotVR to be "VR for HMDs".
I think our KeyShotVR landing page very clearly shows and explains how this add-on works and what it is capable of.

Dries

Artur

AMAZINGGGGG

Looking Forward to have the new stereoscopic VR to use in some projects.
Great news for KS users.

Lets hope the update features plugins for 3rd party applications.