American Oak/Brass Sideboard

Started by nicordf, July 30, 2016, 08:45:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nicordf

Hi Guys!

I've been working on the design of this sideboard for a customer and tinkering around with the brushed brass material and timbers. I'm still super confused with material graph, but getting there. Is there any way to get a nice and subtle procedural patina for the brass so it looks more realistic?

Thanks heaps!!

NM-92

Hi. These are some cool renders ! I like the texture and lighting. Regarding the brass, check out poliigon textures. You can find some overlays that you can apply to control the roughness parameter. Hope it helps.

nicordf

Hey Nico thanks for the kind words man!
I wish I can get to make renderings like yours someday haha.

I guess some glass scruff textures from poliigon will make the difference! The timber textures I've created them from high res pictures I took from the factory I work with, they do the work! :) Uploaded them to keyshot cloud a few months ago (have to upload a walnut one that looks a bit more polished than the rest i think)

NM-92

Well, thank you, i appreciate it. You handle furniture rendering pretty well (I'm not very good with that :P). You are rocking it with those wood materials.

bdesign

Hey nicordf-

Very nice renders. Those wood textures you created yourself look fantastic! Very well done. Attached is an example render of a brushed brass material, with some mild patina and light scuffs & scratches, that I put together in the material graph using KeyShot procedural textures and an Anisotropic material. The Anisotropic material will give you more realistic results when creating brushed metal materials. I'm attaching the .ksp file for you to analyze, if you'd like. If you try the material out, you'll need to adjust the mapping type of the Brushed texture nodes to best suit the shape of your object (or to the UV Mapping type if your object has UVs applied), and, depending on the size of your object, may want to adjust the scale of some of the texture nodes as well. I hope this is helpful.

Cheers,
Eric

nicordf

Hey Eric, thanks for that! the anisotropic brass material looks amazing!!

Can't wait for the .ksp file to give it a go. (So one of the trade secrets would be a tiny amount of noise for materials to look richer and more realistic?)

NM-92

Wow man ! that looks incredible. 

bdesign

Quote from: NM-92 on July 31, 2016, 06:53:35 AM
Wow man ! that looks incredible. 
Thanks very much, Nico!
Quote from: nicordf on July 31, 2016, 06:43:29 AM
Hey Eric, thanks for that! the anisotropic brass material looks amazing!!

Can't wait for the .ksp file to give it a go. (So one of the trade secrets would be a tiny amount of noise for materials to look richer and more realistic?)
You're welcome. Thanks for the kind words. Yeah, nothing in reality is perfect and clean. Really observe and analyze materials in the real world, and utilize the vast resource of reference images available online. Mapping the roughness of a material can particularly go a long way in achieving more realism, but that's just one of many, many elements. Observe, scrutinize, and just do lots of experimenting :)

Cheers,
Eric

feher

Great work Eric,
Very convincing.
Thanks for sharing. I want to see more !
Tim

Will Gibbons

I figured I'd mention a simple potential solution to the metal... Remember that metal is a highly reflective material, meaning that it's appearance will be heavily influenced by the environment and lighting. I may be wrong, but it appears that your environment is the dull, low-contrast startup HDRI. See what happens when you switch to a 3 panel studio HDRI. Also, your metal looks far too saturated (yellow). I'd use a photo reference and see what it looks like in real life. I'll bet you can get the contrast you need just by switching the HDRI. Also, before using image textures to add some surface imperfections, I'd use the noise procedural to drive the color. Just set the two colors to a similar hue of the metal color for some slight variation. The procedural will map better than an image texture as well as keep your file lighter.

Hope this helps. 

nicordf

Thanks for your comments guys!! The hdri used is actually one I downloaded a few days ago and added a few slightly colored pin points on the hdri editor later on. I've attached one version where I added some scruffs and dirt as Nico suggested and it looks way better!
I'm learning from Erik's ksp at the moment so I'll try to come up with a 2.0 procedural clear lacquered brass and see how it goes!

Josh3D

Hey Nicolas! Super inspired by your furniture shots! They look GREAT. Everyone here has some great tips. Our last webinar covers exactly what you're asking about to and should be going live this week. Basically the great example Eric provided. Will let you know when it's up.

bdesign

Quote from: feher on August 01, 2016, 04:23:14 AM
Great work Eric,
Very convincing.
Thanks for sharing. I want to see more !
Tim
Thanks very much, Tim!
Quote from: Josh Mings on August 01, 2016, 08:21:40 AM
Hey Nicolas! Super inspired by your furniture shots! They look GREAT. Everyone here has some great tips. Our last webinar covers exactly what you're asking about to and should be going live this week. Basically the great example Eric provided. Will let you know when it's up.
Thanks for the mention, Josh!

nicordf

Quote from: Josh Mings on August 01, 2016, 08:21:40 AM

Sweet! Thanks heaps Josh and everyone!