Brushed Metals Starter Pack

Started by bdesign, August 02, 2016, 08:31:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bdesign

Hey guys-

I've put together a little procedural "Brushed Metals Starter Pack" to play with if you'd like. I've created six different mapping/directional type brushed metals on a few different geometry types: a cube with a Box Mapping setup, a cylinder with a Cylindrical Mapping setup on the body and Radial Brushed nodes for the caps, a ground plane with a PlanarY setup, and two tori with UVMapping setups (one parallel, one perpendicular). I've left all the materials pretty much clean and pristine, except for a bit of reflective (specular) occlusion to enhance the contact areas, so that you can experiment with adding your own scuffing, scratching, denting, staining and whatever else type of wear and distress you might prefer. All of the materials have the same neutral greyscale specular colors in their respective Brushed nodes; you can quickly get a starting point for various different metals by simply dragging and dropping one of the "Metals" category colors (under the "Colors" tab in the Library) onto the Colorize swatch of the Color Adjust node in each of the networks. You can then tweak the hue, saturation, value and contrast to suit. Note that to adjust the hue and/or saturation, you will need to do it directly in the Select Color dialogue box, as these parameters have no effect on the Color Adjust node when it has been colorized. Metals are currently set to: Cube:Platinum, Cylinder & Caps:Titanium, Ground Plane:Stainless Steel, Torus Parallel:Brass, Torus Perpendicular:Copper. .ksp file attached below. Enjoy :)

Cheers,
Eric

NM-92

Great contribution Eric, thank you very much.

Chad Holton

This is great, Eric. Thanks for sharing!  :)

richardfunnell

Thanks Eric, that's a great scene! Interesting technique :)

The sample value of 32 in each occlusion texture, plus 32 samples per each material, are really slowing the scene down. You could probably decrease those quite a bit to help with the speed. Even on 14 cores I'm getting about 1.1 FPS; dropping those values to 16 improved the FPS to 3.3. Just a suggestion!

bdesign

Quote from: richardfunnell on August 03, 2016, 08:01:31 AM
Thanks Eric, that's a great scene! Interesting technique :)

The sample value of 32 in each occlusion texture, plus 32 samples per each material, are really slowing the scene down. You could probably decrease those quite a bit to help with the speed. Even on 14 cores I'm getting about 1.1 FPS; dropping those values to 16 improved the FPS to 3.3. Just a suggestion!
Thanks very much, Richard! I had intended to drop those values back down before posting...I was a bit tired :) Thanks for pointing that out. I have revised the file to have 16 samples per Anisotropic material, and 8 samples per Occlusion node.
Quote from: Chad Holton on August 03, 2016, 05:59:15 AM
This is great, Eric. Thanks for sharing!  :)
Thanks very much, Chad! You're welcome :)
Quote from: NM-92 on August 02, 2016, 11:04:17 PM
Great contribution Eric, thank you very much.
Thank you kindly, Nico. You're very welcome :)

Cheers,
Eric

Finema

Thanks Eric for this really nice materials.

bdesign

Quote from: Finema on August 03, 2016, 09:38:01 AM
Thanks Eric for this really nice materials.
Thank you, Finema. You're very welcome :)

DMerz III

bdesign

Quote from: dmerziii on August 22, 2016, 09:40:00 AM
Gorgeous, thank you for this.
Thank you, dmerziii and...you're very welcome!

Cheers,
Eric