McLaren / Backplate Trial

Started by BLR, August 05, 2016, 10:50:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BLR

Hey,

Just trying something different here. I grabbed the model from here: https://grabcad.com/rex.fu-1/projects?page=1
Awesome resource. Model is really good.

Anyways I googled "hdr 360 pano" and found a full 360 flat image. Made that into an HDR and imported back into Keyshot. Then I cut a section of the original image into a backplate. Rendered the car on top of the backplate, but in the HDR so the reflections were accurate. HDR alone was a bit grainy/blurry and had scaling issues.

Something different for me. Pretty cool result. Think I'm going to try it again.

Included final image and "demo" image.

Despot

For me it doesn't really work, the big problem is the backplate is extremely blurred and the car is perfectly in focus. - it looks really odd I'm afraid.

The original 360 degree panorama you used to create the environment, was that an actual  .HDR/.EXR, or was it in .jpg or .png format ?

If it was the latter, then even if you exported it from Photoshop (or whatever) as an .HDR, it wouldn't be a true HDRI... for that you need multiple exposures.

BLR

Thanks for the feedback!

The blurring was done in part stylistically and in part to try to cover up the original image.

The 360 panorama was a .jpg that I just quick turned into an .hdr. So the quality wasn't great, but it wrapped all the way around.

Attached is the image straight out of Keyshot.

Despot

So you're lighting your KeyShot scene with what is effectively an LDR, not HDR

Would you permit me to post an image to show you what I mean ?

BLR

Yea sure please do!
I'd appreciate the knowledge greatly.

I keep calling what I'm saving out an "HDR" simply because that's the extension out of Photoshop.