Main Menu

Sci Fi Environment

Started by __davidschultz__, August 09, 2016, 09:15:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

__davidschultz__

[edit: I added a larger image.]
I think I am finally done with this one. I did most of the early concepting of this in Zbrush. I remade the pieces in Fusion 360, then I exported them out to Zbrush and built out the scene there. I exported this back out to Keyshot and then did final tweaks in Photoshop.

Josh3D

Hey David! Welcome! This looks absolutely cool. Love everything about it.

__davidschultz__

Hossein Alfideh

I see amazing stuff here!
I like that red light in the back alot!

__davidschultz__

Thank you very much, Hossein!  Yeah, I definitely boosted that quite a bit in Photoshop.  I couldn't resist.  I hoped it wasn't excessive.

Finema

Really good job David.
Can we see the image larger ?

TpwUK

Awesome model with great detailing - I would like to see it rendered with interior mode to see what moody effects could be accomplished.

Martin

__davidschultz__

Finema: Thank you!  I do have a larger version.  I will post it when I get to my desktop.

TpwUK: Thank you! I did try to render it with Interior mode, but my HDR wasn't showing up in the reflections. I made a transparent portion of my outer room box to let the hdr and lighting in (or at least I thought that was how it would work, but it did not. I would love to see more info on how interior mode works. I watched a couple of tutorials,  but I didn't see what I was looking for, so in the end I just went back to what I knew, and honestly what I love with Keyshot.

Josh3D

Hey David, you said you didn't find what you were looking for about Interior mode--what would that be?

__davidschultz__

Hi Josh,

I was hoping that even if it didn't use my HDR as a lighting source, it would still use it in my reflections.  I know it's not technically accurate, but without it all of my reflective surfaces looked too dull.  I am guessing that's just not how it's supposed to work, because it isn't physically correct, but in Modo, I can do this as an override and it just helps me fake light sources off camera.  I am definitely not a rendering pro though, so what I am doing (even if it works) might not be the desired workflow, hehe.

Thanks!

Josh3D

Ah, ok. Yes, you should get reflections, but it will be more noticeable with a strong or small light source on the HDRI, such as using Set Highlight or Sun & Sky in the HDR editor. We do need to explain this better in the manual, so I'll make note of that.

__davidschultz__

I'll have to mess around with my HDR some more to see what I can come up with. The only real info I had found was from here: https://youtu.be/athFOgZPjCY?t=2937.  I tried to replicate a similar set up, but with a shell surrounding my objects and one transparent wall where I wanted the light/reflections to come from. I couldn't seem to get it to work. I can post a screenshot tonight of my set up, so you can see if it was set up incorrectly.  I'd love to be able to use it the way it should be.

I found this, and I am watching it to see if there is something I am missing.

Thanks!

Josh3D

Ahh, ok. There was our Master Series on Lighting that may help too, but can't recall if it address specifically about what you're asking about.

__davidschultz__

Thank you for your help, Josh!  I did watch that, and it was very helpful.  I didn't see anything in it on how he created a shell to create the interior volume.  I did a test last night with a new volume, and I wish I had remembered to put it up here.  If I do not make a huge transparent section in the volume, I don't get any reflections from the HDR on my objects. 

I can see from one of Vitaly's images from the Beta that he was getting some nice reflections on his piece. It might be that I just need to rethink how I am cutting the transparent areas into my outer volume to get better shaped lighting and reflections, and I might need to rework the HDR I am using as well (as you mentioned previously). 

http://scontent.cdninstagram.com/t51.2885-15/s480x480/e35/11280441_1475792349403291_1574873451_n.jpg?ig_cache_key=MTA0NjY1Nzc3NjE5Njk1OTM1OA%3D%3D.2

I'm going to rework some things based on some feedback I've received, and I will try and figure out how to use Interior mode to relight this thing in the process.

__davidschultz__

Ok. Hopefully, I didn't mess this up, hehe. I made the wiring make a bit more sense, and I worked to try and get a little bit better separation between the foreground and the background.