Another Interior Render Test

Started by nicordf, August 11, 2016, 04:08:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nicordf

Hi Guys!

Today I found myself checking the forum for the fifth time in one day haha. Anyway, I've rendered an interior scene only with an HDRI natural environment, with maximum samples (256) that took 4 hours, and it is still very noisy and filled with artifacts. :'(

Are there any interior-rendering-optimizing tips you could give me? It would be awesome!

Cheers,

Nico

ps: I've attached the raw and post versions of the scene :)

NM-92

I struggled with the same issue, and my scene was only a hallway (totally enclosed, without any openings) with a source of light coming from a corner, hidden. Tried every type of light, but my machine could barely handle it (1-2 fps). Global Illumination must be checked for the physical light to have any effect within the scene. Are you using interior mode ? That reduced almost 95% of the artifacts on my case. The noise was also reduced, but still present. So, if you find any suitable settings please let us know. The render looks great btw despite the noise, but maybe you can set your camera a little higher to show a bit more of the couch. You are losing the shape with that angle in my opinion.

SebasDesign

you can put more than 256 samples in the settings

nicordf

Quote from: NM-92 on August 11, 2016, 04:44:09 PM
I struggled with the same issue, and my scene was only a hallway (totally enclosed, without any openings) with a source of light coming from a corner, hidden. Tried every type of light, but my machine could barely handle it (1-2 fps). Global Illumination must be checked for the physical light to have any effect within the scene. Are you using interior mode ? That reduced almost 95% of the artifacts on my case. The noise was also reduced, but still present. So, if you find any suitable settings please let us know. The render looks great btw despite the noise, but maybe you can set your camera a little higher to show a bit more of the couch. You are losing the shape with that angle in my opinion.

Hey Nico thanks for that! I did use interior mode, do you think is a sample quantity issue? (maybe I'll have to invest on a proper desktop monster-computer) I'll have a go with a higher camera during the weekend to see how it goes ;)

NM-92

Quote from: nicordf on August 11, 2016, 05:17:12 PM
Hey Nico thanks for that! I did use interior mode, do you think is a sample quantity issue? (maybe I'll have to invest on a proper desktop monster-computer) I'll have a go with a higher camera during the weekend to see how it goes ;)

There are a lot of threads discussing this issue with white artifacts and every single one of them was related with the samples. You can increase samples on the materials affected individually or you can just increase your max samples value as Sebas said. Keep in mind that changing the samples of a material will override the max samples setting. This way you can increase the quality of that specific part without affecting the whole scene. I still haven't found a perfect solution, it's a matter of trying and testing with your current scene.

TpwUK

Interiors need to be treated like true interiors. If there are not enough openings such as windows and glazed doors, then you will need to add some light sources around the room. There are IES lighting materials now included with version 6.2. More light bouncing around the better (within reason).

Martin

nicordf

Thanks a lot Nico! When increasing the samples for each material, the value that gets rendered is it always the highest one between the max samples and the material one? I couldn't resist and I throw the updated scene to render with 600 samples to check if it works properly! I'll attach it as soon as it is ready (soon hopefully!)

nicordf

Quote from: TpwUK on August 11, 2016, 08:03:00 PM
Interiors need to be treated like true interiors. If there are not enough openings such as windows and glazed doors, then you will need to add some light sources around the room. There are IES lighting materials now included with version 6.2. More light bouncing around the better (within reason).

Martin

Hi Martin! Thanks for your comment! Actually, the scene has a lot of windows and glazed doors around, and I wanted to achieve a natural lighting look. Any recommendations? I'll definitely have a look at the new IES lighting materials!!

TpwUK

Quote from: nicordf on August 11, 2016, 08:19:38 PM
Hi Martin! Thanks for your comment! Actually, the scene has a lot of windows and glazed doors around, and I wanted to achieve a natural lighting look. Any recommendations? I'll definitely have a look at the new IES lighting materials!!

Don't worry about bumping up the brightness because you don't need to keep the outside details unless you really want them, windows and doors often look overexposed when doing interiors. You can also add large diffuse lights outside to throw extra light into the interior scene.

Martin

nicordf

I gave it a try with 600 samples, still noisy  :(

And I´m rendering one with a blown up environment value, to see how it goes!

bdesign

Nicolas, can you share this scene, with or without the furniture?

Eric

nicordf

Hi Eric! I'll upload it tomorrow morning, left the computer back at the office. I was just wordering if the glass material on the windows has something to do with the noisy rendering  ::)