Steam Traction Engine WIP

Started by Speedster, August 28, 2016, 11:23:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Speedster

Hi all!

Because my regular work is medical device design, I have never explored the amazing Material Graph tools in KeyShot 6.  My clients all want a pristine "new" look.

But I finally had some time to dive into graphing, and chose my older SolidWorks model of an 1895 Case Steam Traction Engine, used on farms and ranches, as well as in logging and many other industries.  It was the most popular "tractor" of the day.  These lumbering behemoths had a top speed of about 3 mph, were noisy, but got the job done! 

It's one of my favorite models, and lends itself to a multiple of materials and textures.  I decided to start by showing it "in service" on a farm.  But my goal is an unrestored relic waiting restoration.  I've attached my target reference image, and how I mapped it last.  Most of the mapping is on surfaces of a single part, as you don't have to map separate parts.

To start, I watched Dries's excellent webinar "Advanced Material Control" so many times I see it in my sleep!  But it's a must watch!  I'm still trying to get my head around all of it!

Anyway, here's my start.  I'll update as I progress.  My  biggest issue is how to get a "flat" material look, as roughness does not do the trick.  It's a specular thing. The other challenge is simply building a library of textures and matching bumps.  I create my bumps in FilterForge. I would love to show the flywheel, main rod and crosshead slightly blurred, as they were almost always in motion.  But I don't have a clue how to do it.

Comments welcome as always!

Bill G

Despot

Love these Bill... the 3rd image is a photograph right ?

TpwUK

Nice work Bill, it's good to see you break away from the brand new look.

I have been wanting to model a Traction Engine for a long time, tend to get called Showman's Engine in the UK and also a Ploughman's but sadly I can find any quality prints that are free, so if you have any good sources i'd love to know :)

Martin

Speedster

Hey, Martin!  From what I know, the "Fowler" was/is the most popular traction/showman engine on your side of the pond.  Actually, the "Showman" was used mainly to power circus and exhibition rides, while the traction engine was the farm and road building workhorse.  Main difference was the finish and a large canopy on the showman style, perfect for a lot of lettering.

For info, try to get access to back issues of the Model Engineer Magazine, on line or in libraries.  It ran many construction articles on Fowlers, as well as the Marshall.  I sold my bound collection, like 3000 issues, some years back, which was the entire collection from 1889 (I think) to about 1970.  Understand that for 50 or so years it was published weekly!  Big mistake, but my wife disagrees!

Again, this is a WIP, and I'm learning a lot.  I can hardly wait to amaze my clients with renderings of old, beat up, scratched and dinged medical devices! Covered in blood, of course. Not!!

Yes, the third image is my material target...

Bill G

bdesign

These are great, Bill! Awesome job :)

Cheers,
Eric

Josh3D

Love it Bill. These models always amaze me.

LayC42

Quote from: Speedster on August 28, 2016, 11:23:29 AM
... I would love to show the flywheel, main rod and crosshead slightly blurred, as they were almost always in motion.  But I don't have a clue how to do it.

Bill G

Hey Bill G

Great work!

And the answer to the motion blurring is very simple. First you need an animation and then check the marked icon in the animation tab.
For detailed infos you'll find the ksp file. (model from crabcad.com)

hope that helps

Speedster

Thanks for the info!  But will the animation blur show in a still photo?  I'm not quite up to animating the whole model, although it's tempting!
Bill G

LayC42

I know, that you wanted to animate the steam machine. That can be solved with a little complex animation. Therefor I created a simple model (found on grabcad) with the animation. And I know that the motion isn't as accurate as a professional mechanism. But who can recognize this in blurred motion?

I used standard KS materials from the library.

hope that helps

LayC42

Quote from: Speedster on August 29, 2016, 01:24:57 PM
Thanks for the info!  But will the animation blur show in a still photo?  I'm not quite up to animating the whole model, although it's tempting!
Bill G

Yes it would.

Arian Shamil

Amazing model, great render!
Top work here...

Speedster

QuoteYes it would.

Duh!  You showed it as a still!  Sheesh, I need glasses or something.  Thanks!!
Bill G

LayC42

Quote from: Speedster on August 28, 2016, 11:23:29 AM
... I would love to show the flywheel, main rod and crosshead slightly blurred, as they were almost always in motion.  But I don't have a clue how to do it.

Bill G

I just tried to answer your question. Or I understand something wrong?!

Speedster

QuoteI just tried to answer your question.
You did answer my question, which I replied to above.  It finally dawned on me that you did, in fact, show it as a "still".  Your advice is greatly appreciated!
Bill G