Main Menu

More for my Wish List

Started by multitech, September 15, 2016, 09:05:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

multitech

Sorry this is a long Wish List.  But hopefully I get some +1's.

I'd like a camera setting to make the camera view normal to a surface.  Solidworks has a similar view setting.  See attached image.  This would help for applying labels.

When importing a new part, I'd like a placement option to be at or near the Camera Look Point.  I always have to zoom out and hunt from my imported part and use the Move Tool to bring it to the area it needs to be placed.

When you Hide and Lock a part or assembly group, it will unlock if you hide and unhide the parent group.  I would like for sub-groups or parts to stay locked.

The Edit Geometry feature is a great addition to Keyshot.  But sometimes I have to split all the surfaces because the split object setting will not select the geometry I need.  Now I have hundreds of surface parts in a group.  I'd like to be able to fuse all the parts back into one group or part to keep my Scene Tree more manageable.   A Link Material option would be nice or making Link Material the default would be better.  I don't want hundreds of iterations of the same material just because I exploded all the surfaces.  Oops, someone told me about the Merge command!   :-[  :)

I'd also still like an Isolate selected part function that turns off the visibility of everything but the selected part or creates a pop up window that only shows the selected part.  When I'm applying labels, I don't want a then thousand part model crunching my processors.  I don't want to use (Show Only) because I would have to remember what is set to on or off on a large assembly.  I do not think Scene Sets would help for this because it will undo the new material change.

For Scene Sets, I think it would be better for Link Materials to be the default setting, (Unlink Materials) should be the optional check box.  When the materials are duplicated by default, it is too easy to loose track which material is which.  If I have a hundred materials, I really don't want 200 to deal with.  I just always forget to check that darn Link Materials check box.  ;D

Mike  8)

guest84672

See my answers below.

Sorry this is a long Wish List.  But hopefully I get some +1's.

I'd like a camera setting to make the camera view normal to a surface.  Solidworks has a similar view setting.  See attached image.  This would help for applying labels.

KeyShot offers a projection method called "Norma Projection" which will project a label normal to the surface. You can also use planar projection in x, y or z direction.

When importing a new part, I'd like a placement option to be at or near the Camera Look Point.  I always have to zoom out and hunt from my imported part and use the Move Tool to bring it to the area it needs to be placed.

Parts and assemblies are either imported centered  and/or positioned on the ground, or in their original position where they were placed in the CAD system.

When you Hide and Lock a part or assembly group, it will unlock if you hide and unhide the parent group.  I would like for sub-groups or parts to stay locked.

This is fixed in KeyShot 7.

[...]

I'd also still like an Isolate selected part function that turns off the visibility of everything but the selected part or creates a pop up window that only shows the selected part.  When I'm applying labels, I don't want a then thousand part model crunching my processors.  I don't want to use (Show Only) because I would have to remember what is set to on or off on a large assembly.  I do not think Scene Sets would help for this because it will undo the new material change.

Select object(s) in the scene tree or by clicking or shift + click & drag and then right click and select "Show only".

For Scene Sets, I think it would be better for Link Materials to be the default setting, (Unlink Materials) should be the optional check box.  When the materials are duplicated by default, it is too easy to loose track which material is which.  If I have a hundred materials, I really don't want 200 to deal with.  I just always forget to check that darn Link Materials check box.  ;D

We are reworking scene sets for KeyShot 7 so this issue may no longer be an issue. But in general I think this is the right thing to do.

Mike  8)
[/quote]

bdesign

Before using the "Split All" option and exploding the entire object, you may find it helpful to first try isolating your desired split zones by holding down shift and marquee selecting groups of polygons, along with control selecting individual polys if necessary, and then using the "Split Object" option.

Quote from: multitech on September 15, 2016, 09:05:05 AM
You could create a new Scene Set (remember to "check that darn Link Materials check box.  ;D") ,then, within the new active Scene Set, choose "Show Only" for the part and apply the label. This allows working on the isolated object without affecting object visibility states in other Scene Sets. As long as the material is linked, the material change will be reflected in all Scene Sets. You could use this same Scene Set as a "working zone" and repeat the process for other parts.

Eric

Speedster

All great enhancements!

I'd like to be able to rename in the Scene Tree...

Bill G

INNEO_MWo

Quote from: multitech on September 15, 2016, 09:05:05 AM
A Link Material option would be nice or making Link Material the default would be better.  I don't want hundreds of iterations of the same material just because I exploded all the surfaces.  Oops, someone told me about the Merge command!   :-[  :)

Try to use the search bar / filter above the scene tree. Search for parts / part and/or material names and drag materials from the library to the selections. Then all materials are linked.
Create some material templates that effects the scene or the selection. That would speed your workflow a lot! (material template is a very powerful feature!)

hope that helps

multitech

QuoteYou could create a new Scene Set (remember to "check that darn Link Materials check box.  ;D") ,then, within the new active Scene Set, choose "Show Only" for the part and apply the label. This allows working on the isolated object without affecting object visibility states in other Scene Sets. As long as the material is linked, the material change will be reflected in all Scene Sets. You could use this same Scene Set as a "working zone" and repeat the process for other parts.

Eric

Thanks Eric, I didn't even think about making a new Scene Set to isolate a part with the materials linked.  I will try that.

Mike

multitech

Thanks for the reply Thomas,

QuoteKeyShot offers a projection method called "Norma Projection" which will project a label normal to the surface. You can also use planar projection in x, y or z direction. 

I actually want my camera to align with the surface's normal projection so I can see what I'm doing better.  Especially when the surface is at an odd angle.

QuoteSelect object(s) in the scene tree or by clicking or shift + click & drag and then right click and select "Show only".

I understand how to do this, but I'd like to revert back to my previous scene tree's visibility state.  If I select Show All, I have to reconfigure the visibility of all the parts.  Eric suggested making a new Scene Set with linked materials.  That may work for me.

QuoteParts and assemblies are either imported centered  and/or positioned on the ground, or in their original position where they were placed in the CAD system.

This is what I do not like.  If I'm adding a bolt to a large piece of construction equipment, I want it to import it where my camera is looking, not at the origin of the current model.   If inserting a part at the camera's look point is not possible, maybe have an option where the move tool is active when the part is imported.  Or if you select the move tool, have a button to move the new part to camera look point.  I'd like to stay focused in the area where I'm working and not have to zoom in and out and pan all the time.

Mike

bdesign

Quote from: multitech on September 16, 2016, 07:45:52 AM
This is what I do not like.  If I'm adding a bolt to a large piece of construction equipment, I want it to import it where my camera is looking, not at the origin of the current model.   If inserting a part at the camera's look point is not possible, maybe have an option where the move tool is active when the part is imported.  Or if you select the move tool, have a button to move the new part to camera look point.  I'd like to stay focused in the area where I'm working and not have to zoom in and out and pan all the time.
Here's something you may want to try- it does take a few quick steps, but it will leave your camera look at point intact.

1. Place a "helper object" in the vicinity of your desired camera look at point, then set up your camera view.
2. Import your part. Make sure "Adjust camera to look at Geometry" is unchecked.
3. In the scene tree, right-click the part>Move>Pivot:Pick and choose the helper object from the list.
4. Snap to Pivot and Reset.

Eric

guest84672

Quote from: Speedster on September 15, 2016, 03:02:10 PM
All great enhancements!

I'd like to be able to rename in the Scene Tree...

Bill G

You can rename in the scene tree already. Not unless I misunderstand what you mean.

Speedster

QuoteYou can rename in the scene tree already.
Thomas, I can't for the life of me figure out how to rename a part or assembly in the Scene Tree.  RC pulls down a menu, but there's no rename option.  The traditional slow double-click does not either. 

So how do you rename?  I'm on 6.2.105.

Bill G

Esben Oxholm

Quote from: multitech on September 16, 2016, 07:45:52 AM
QuoteSelect object(s) in the scene tree or by clicking or shift + click & drag and then right click and select "Show only".

I understand how to do this, but I'd like to revert back to my previous scene tree's visibility state.  If I select Show All, I have to reconfigure the visibility of all the parts.  Eric suggested making a new Scene Set with linked materials.  That may work for me.

Hi Mike.
Do you know that it is possible to 'hide and lock' parts?
Parts that are hidden and locked won't show up when selecting 'show all'.
Maybe it helps.

Best,

bdesign

Quote from: Speedster on September 17, 2016, 11:12:16 AM
So how do you rename?  I'm on 6.2.105.

Bill G
Hey Bill-

You're probably already aware of this- you can rename Scene Tree items under Scene tab>Properties. Perhaps you're referring to renaming items directly inside the parts list of the Scene Tree (?)

Eric

Speedster

Hey, Mike- sorry we sort of hijacked your thread!  I know you understand!

Eric:  Thanks for the tip!  No, I did not realize that the renaming could be done in preferences, a great tip!

It would still be nice if rename was in the RC drop down menu, which would save time.

Bill G

HaroldL

Quote from: Speedster on September 18, 2016, 08:20:34 AM
. . . It would still be nice if rename was in the RC drop down menu, which would save time.

Bill G
It looks like the User Manual may have been written in anticipation of that enhancement. :)

jeffw

Here are some features I would like to see in scene sets.

The ability to see a scene set tree list  of parts in the scene just as in the main scene tree. I would like to be able to lock the main scene tree so that when you select a part on the model image it expands and shows the part only in the scene set tree while the main scene tree remains collapsed. The scene set tree would have all the options available in the main scene tree. Most of my models have hundreds of parts. Expanding and collapsing the entire expanded scene tree can be cumbersome so dealing with just what is in the scene set would be easier.

The ability to lock, reorder and duplicate sets.

The ability to refresh and save sets like cameras can be refreshed and saved without saving the whole file.

The ability to change part names across all scene sets. As it is if you change a part name in one set then switch to another set the same part you renamed shows in the scene tree with the old name.

The ability to link render layers to scene sets.