Open multiple documents at a time

Started by monson67, September 16, 2016, 06:50:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

monson67

Due to the type of work I do, having multiple KeyShot files open simultaneously would increase my productivity (being able to reference materials and environments in other documents, keeping consistency between files, etc.).

I understand that with the processing power needed for real-time rendering, having KeyShot render multiple live views isn't feasible. Maybe the solution would be to automatically pause real-time rendering for any document that isn't in focus. So if I switch from one document to another, the document that I switch away from would pause, and the document that I'm switching to would unpause.

fario

sethcshort

While there's no way to open multiple files from within KeyShot, I'm able to have several KeyShot instances running at the same time, by double-clicking the BIP file in Explorer (Windows). This automatically starts up a new instance of KeyShot and opens that file. (Not sure if it does the same on Mac).

They seem to play nicely together, I haven't noticed any massive slowdown with multiple windows open. It does affect performance a bit... but earlier today I was working in a scene, then closed it, and realized I had another scene open behind it and hadn't felt any adverse performance effects.

One thing that's not possible, that I wish was, is to copy/paste between KeyShot instances. That would greatly simplify my workflow. In fact, I think I'll add it to the Wish List!

Hope that helps!

monson67

Quote from: sethcshort on September 23, 2016, 05:17:36 PM
This automatically starts up a new instance of KeyShot and opens that file. (Not sure if it does the same on Mac).

Mac user here, and no it does not.  :(