After deleting objects, they remain in the file.

Started by sethcshort, September 20, 2016, 05:25:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sethcshort

I'm working in a scene where I had a bunch of models, and then I deleted the majority, leaving only a few models and their attached materials.

However, when I go to save it as a package, it's telling me there are missing textures/labels for the objects and materials that I deleted. These links shouldn't be in the scene any longer. The materials that reference these textures are no longer listed in the Materials section.

Even if the textures/labels were still in their original locations (avoiding the errors), I don't want these unused files in my package.

I have a BIP with no objects in the scene. If you attempt to package this BIP, you'll get an error regarding several textures and labels missing.

The file is also 132MB, despite having no content.

Unfortunately this file is too large to post here, even at maximum compression. I can upload it somewhere if that will be helpful.

Thanks
Seth

Niko Planke

Hello Seth,

Do you by chance have any Scene-sets in your scene? Those could be the reason for the behavior explained.

sethcshort

No, I haven't used Scene Sets in this scene. There's just the Default.

Forwarding you the file now.

sethcshort

Strange. I just went to package the 132MB file, but now it's not giving me the errors that it gave me yesterday. The package created was very small, and since it automatically saves over the original BIP, the bip file was very small as well. Somehow it cleaned itself up.

This might be because I moved the file from its previous location to my Documents folder. Or possibly the fact that I restart my computer every night, and some kind of cache or similar was cleared.

I think I've been able to re-create the issue again... at least, I've made a bip file that's got nothing in it but is 20MB, and was able to create a package from that that's 14MB, and extracting that package also extracts a few texture files that in theory shouldn't be attached since there's no objects or materials in the scene. I've uploaded those to you, hopefully they'll be helpful in tracking this down.

Thanks,
Seth

sethcshort

I've run into the issue again today. I'm uploading a package file now (500MB) that contains no objects or materials, and gave me the "missing files" error when I created the package.

Seth

Niko Planke

Hello Seth

Thank you for sending the files.

I can see the misbehavior.
I have forwarded the files to the Development team.
I will let you know as soon as there is more information.

sethcshort

Something that might be related:

If I import a model, then I need to update it, so I delete it out of the KeyShot scene and re-import it, the new imported model has the name + "#1". As if it's a duplicate of an existing model. However, the previous model should have been deleted, so the new one shouldn't be considered a duplicate, right?

The same with materials. If I make a material, then delete it, then make another material of the same name, it tells me that that material already exists and I have to give it a different name... even though I deleted it and it doesn't appear in the Materials list.

If the above AREN'T related to this thread, please let me know and I'll put them up as a new bug.

Thanks,
Seth

sethcshort

Do you have any further information on this error? I'm attempting to do some organization and cleanup of my files, and I'm encountering massive BIPs and KSPs that contain one small object.

Is there any way to force Keyshot to review the file and clean out the stuff I've deleted? I'm concerned that I'm going to run out of space. And I'd prefer not to have to go into each BIP (of hundreds) later to try to clear out the invisible data.

Thanks,
Seth

sethcshort

To answer my own question: out of desperation I tried different things, and I found that Save Active Scene Set (even if the active scene set is Default, which it is in all these files since I haven't created any others) tends to make the files much smaller. Also, deleting cameras out of the scene seems to do the same.

A 500MB file was reduced to 88MB via Save Active Scene Set.

Seth

sethcshort

Nope, the issue is back. I have a single object in the scene, 154,000 triangles, a single material applied, no scene sets or cameras other than the default, and it's saving as 558MB. Upon load, I can see a number of objects loading in the status window, objects that I've deleted.

I tried saving the active scene set, it didn't fix the issue.

Seth

sethcshort

Here's some screenshots

sethcshort

And, I just closed Keyshot and re-loaded the BIP, then re-saved it, and now it's down to a reasonable size (4MB).  :-\

DMerz III

Very interesting thread of events. I have heard others on my team complain of this in the past, but it's never happened to me in a dramatic enough way that it becomes noticeable. I have experienced a few hiccups where the "packaged" file is looking for a texture that I am no longer using. I've also opened up other KSPs that contained a linked image for something that didn't seem to have a home. (Usually an old backplate is typically the culprit).

I've requested that there be some sort of "Linked Assets" library or panel which we can view external linked files and where they're used in Keyshot. Something similar to Adobe InDesign's asset manager, which is very useful when you're suddenly missing a link but it becomes very obvious where and why. It also makes it easier to 'update' a link manually, if you happen to be editing the original content often.

If this were included, you could see in a list form all linked images and exactly what is being packaged up when you make a KSP of a project. It'll also be useful for checking to make sure everything is properly being "found" by KS when you go to send a network render.

I think it's something they will implement in KS7?

sethcshort

That would be lovely. We're expanding our team and it's quickly becoming apparent that Keyshot 6 is not ideal for team collaboration. Packaging and unpackaging is clunky, and creates multiple copies of the same labels and textures, distributed among various locations. This makes updating texture and label files quite difficult, especially when there's no way to manage image links in the scene.