Allow Move/Rotate/Scale manipulation using "Origin" point (outside of Animation)

Started by sethcshort, September 23, 2016, 04:50:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sethcshort

Hi,

The Animation package allows you to animate an object or group around their "Origin" -- that is, the pivot point established in the 3D software that the model was created in.

However, when I'm just trying to move/rotate/scale objects in a scene, outside of the Animation app, I can only choose the center of the bounding box of the object/group, or the center of the bounding box of another object/group.

So if I want to, say, rotate a wheel around its axis (like you do in your Animation video tutorial), I'm unable to do so unless I happen to have an object that's exactly in the middle of the wheel and has exactly the same orientation as the wheel. This is clunky and requires rebuilding the model to place an object in the pivot point (and then re-importing it, re-texturing it etc). And if I'm using CAD software, this also requires additional work in creating a part as the pivot, importing it into the assembly, dimensioning it, etc. I've actually had to do this a few times in the last month.

Please make the Origin point of the object available as a pivot point like you do in the Animation app.

Thanks,
Seth