Material Graph : can't assign color adjust card to bump channel

Started by BenG075, September 27, 2016, 09:44:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BenG075

Hi,

I am exposing here an issue (maybe it is not), but when I try to assign the Color adjust card output to the bump channel of my material it doesn't...
I would like to use the same texture map as a starting point then adjust it to enhance its application according to the channel I want (Specular, Bump...). Please look snapshot attached.

Thanks for your help !

Benjamin

Chad Holton

Based on your sample screenshot, the image used for bump mapping is basically converted to B&W and you wouldn't need color control.

BenG075

Hi Chad, Thanks for feedback :)

I fact I want to use a modification node to increase the contrast between the white and the black area... keeping the same mapping parameters...
But it seems that's impossible here...

richardfunnell

My suggestion is to simply copy/paste that node in your Material Graph (essentially duplicating it), and plugging it in where it needs to go. The "sync" option should be checked allowing you to move/scale as needed, but you can then adjust each texture or parameter as needed.

This usually leaves my material graphs a little cleaner, instead of double or triple duty-ing them. You may see issues when using the same texture in too many nodes.

INNEO_MWo

The limitation is that you can't assign an utility node to the bump channel of a material (but "backside color mask" utility node if experimental features are on)

maybe one release we get this control.

For now you can copy your texture file, change it with a graphic tool (like Photoshop or something similar) and use refresh in KeyShot to effect the bump.

Chad Holton

Quote from: BenG075 on October 12, 2016, 08:57:54 AM
Hi Chad, Thanks for feedback :)

I fact I want to use a modification node to increase the contrast between the white and the black area... keeping the same mapping parameters...
But it seems that's impossible here...

Hi Benjamin,

I haven't tested to see for sure but would think adjusting the bump height parameter would be the equivalent.

Chad