Improving render layers and deleting

Started by jeffw, September 30, 2016, 01:54:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeffw

Improving render layers:

I find render layers a useful but awkward tool that could be a great asset if it had more options and an observable structure.

I use scene sets and render layers in concert but the relationship between two is unclear to me. I notice that if you are in a given scene set and put a part in a render layer it renders the part as shown just fine. If I make a new scene set which has the same part in it will not render out using the same render layer unless I again add the same part to the layer. I would like to be able to see which parts in a render layer are in which scene set so I don't have to make a new render layer to be sure I now a part is in it. Like scene sets, render layers could benefit from have a tree so you could see what is going. From the tree you could add or remove selected parts from the render layer. If tied to scene sets selecting a part in render layer could be highlight it in the scene set tree as well and so display the relationship.

I am also confused by the render layer dialog. The render layer window in the project tab allows you to check individual layers but the render dialog box gives only the option to render all layers. If you have no layers checked, one checked or all checked it makes no difference it still renders all layers. It would make more sense if there was an option to "render checked layers" which actually rendered only the checked layers.

The delete key:

Make the delete function the same for any selection be it text, material, part, camera, whatever. Currently you can use the delete key for parts but for render layers and cameras you have to use the trash can icon. Where is the logic in that? Deleting should be consistent across all environments.

If you have selected a part and your finger is on the delete key it is safe to assume that you have made your decision and know what is going to happen when you press that key. So why does Keyshot presume you are not sure about your decision by forcing you to choose yes or no to the warning dialog "do you want to delete this part"?  If you select a render layer or camera and press the trash can icon it does not ask you if you want to delete this layer or camera, it just deletes it. This is how it should work globally. If you really need training wheels when deleting there could be an option to toggle on a warning in preferences.