Carbon fiber (study?)

Started by SebasDesign, October 17, 2016, 02:24:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SebasDesign

(you can skip this backstory haha)
Ok this took me too much to realize but i guess it was going to happen eventually... Beeing a car enthusiast I want the cars I render (or design) to look as good as possible and that at the end comes down to material quality, and one of the coolest materials to work with is carbon fiber but achieving a realistic look to carbon fiber was trickier than I initially thought. So I found a comment in one of the P1 renders I shared recently saying that usually you don't see realistic looking carbon around so I wanted to try that. After looking for a while I landed on a cgi forum and saw a spectacular carbon material and noticed the detail I was missing... I've been using plastic because CF behaves like one but I shlould've known that (for example) polished carbon has the fiber with it's roughness in one layer and on top of it a polished clear layer.

Now I wanted to try and replicate that using a material that had two coats and Metallic Paint came to the rescue... I used the same textures I used with the old carbon fiber and created a metallic paint that had the fiber roughness underneath a polished coat. I'll show you the new carbon materials compared to the old ones I used.

PS This might be the dumbest discovery but with a material as cool as CF I think it's worth sharing
-Sebas

TpwUK

Looks good enough to use to me :)

Martin

SebasDesign

Quote from: TpwUK on October 17, 2016, 02:45:12 PM
Looks good enough to use to me :)

Martin
Of course it  could be improved quite a lot but for a first iteration it is an improvement

Josh3D

Great study and great comparison. The new looks great!