Main Menu

Sunset in NY

Started by Hossein Alfideh, October 24, 2016, 11:42:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hossein Alfideh

Quote from: Despot on October 25, 2016, 11:52:15 AM
Really cool exterior Hossein, one of my favourites for sure :)

much appreciated John!
cheers!  :)

Quote from: Will Gibbons on October 25, 2016, 11:58:58 AM
Wow! I'm impressed. That shot through the window is absolutely great! I haven't really seen a CG/Rendering showing that before. It's a unique shot and has a great effect. Props man! What are you modeling in?

Thanks a bunch man! feels great to hear this from you, means a a lot to me for sure!  :)
at first I started with CATIA because that's my first modeling software but on some levels I had to use 3ds max, so this is a combination of CATIA and max (mostly 3ds max).but for the roof top I'm completely using 3ds max.  :)
(the roof top has become a nightmare as it has more details than I thought ...  :-X ;D)

Quote from: thomasteger on October 25, 2016, 01:54:35 PM
Very impressive. When I looked at the original image I wasn't quite sure what was rendered. And I agree with Will, that shot looking out the window is extra awesome, because it is all geometry!

thank you man I really appreciate it, means a lot! it always feels great to hear these kind words from masters!
cheers!  ;)

Quote from: Finema on October 25, 2016, 09:31:14 PM
Yes it's very impressive when i see the clay.
What the process to obtain that ? All windows are labelling  or it's only one image for the street ?

Great to hear it! :)
No, the windows with the lights on are label work too,what you see behind the other windows with the lights off are all geometry  :)

Esben Oxholm

Hi Hossein.
Great work so far.

As has been mentioned already, that out-of-the-window shot is a cool idea and has great potential. I think you can, if you are up for it, push it quite a lot. Anyways, here are a few quick suggestions:

Decide on a point of focus. Right now it's like the flower, the glass, the outside and the indoor lighting coming from the left is fighting for attention. I would probably put more focus on the outside, using the inside 'only' as a frame in frame. Here's is what you can do to help achieve that:

1. Turn off indoor lighting, or create a faint cold light as if it i.e. comes from a nearby TV. The blue light will contrast nicely to the yellow from the outside and also turning down the intensity helps to attract focus to the brighter outside area.
2. Move the camera closer to the window itself. I don't think cutting of some of the window frame is going to be a problem.
3. Add some subtle dirt to your window glass.
4. Enable DoF to blur out foreground items like the flower and the glass.
5. Add a story. Just a silhouette of a person in one of windows on the other site of the street will add a lot of interest and something to wonder about.

Just a bunch of quick thoughts :)
Best,

Will Gibbons

Great suggestions from Esben. I'd love to see where you land after giving those a shot!

Hossein Alfideh

Quote from: Esben Oxholm on October 26, 2016, 10:47:10 AM
Hi Hossein.
Great work so far.

As has been mentioned already, that out-of-the-window shot is a cool idea and has great potential. I think you can, if you are up for it, push it quite a lot. Anyways, here are a few quick suggestions:

Decide on a point of focus. Right now it's like the flower, the glass, the outside and the indoor lighting coming from the left is fighting for attention. I would probably put more focus on the outside, using the inside 'only' as a frame in frame. Here's is what you can do to help achieve that:

1. Turn off indoor lighting, or create a faint cold light as if it i.e. comes from a nearby TV. The blue light will contrast nicely to the yellow from the outside and also turning down the intensity helps to attract focus to the brighter outside area.
2. Move the camera closer to the window itself. I don't think cutting of some of the window frame is going to be a problem.
3. Add some subtle dirt to your window glass.
4. Enable DoF to blur out foreground items like the flower and the glass.
5. Add a story. Just a silhouette of a person in one of windows on the other site of the street will add a lot of interest and something to wonder about.

Just a bunch of quick thoughts :)
Best,

Thanks a lot Esben, loved every single of your ideas and tried them all.

Quote from: Will Gibbons on October 27, 2016, 08:21:25 AM
Great suggestions from Esben. I'd love to see where you land after giving those a shot!

agreed, great thoughts!
I've posted my result, let me know what you think guys  :)

Will Gibbons

That's not creepy at all! haha

I'd say you can push the contrast a bit more in the values to punch it up a bit. Also, the building's facade across the street looks too well-lit. You could go for the effect of having a warm street light on by adding a light out of view and turning down HDRI brightness. Also, increase the brightness on windows across the street.

Looking sweet though.

Finema

Hossein Alfideh

Quote from: Will Gibbons on October 27, 2016, 08:29:37 AM
That's not creepy at all! haha

I'd say you can push the contrast a bit more in the values to punch it up a bit. Also, the building's facade across the street looks too well-lit. You could go for the effect of having a warm street light on by adding a light out of view and turning down HDRI brightness. Also, increase the brightness on windows across the street.

Looking sweet though.

haha,though that myself too, feels like a stalker's view than a normal neighbor  ;D
on this one I have decreased the HDRI brighness about 0.4 and used an IES to get the shadows on the wall then increased the blue light a bit more,the windows lights are increased as well as the contrast of the overal image  :)

Quote from: Finema on October 27, 2016, 08:35:49 AM
Really good Hossein  ;)

thanks man , I think with the great feedback of you guys the shot looks much better now  :)

Finema

Yes ! Hitchcock is here ! Bravo

Hossein Alfideh

Quote from: Finema on October 27, 2016, 09:59:31 AM
Yes ! Hitchcock is here ! Bravo
haha  :D
I really appreciate it Philippe , a lot!  :)

Will Gibbons

Naaaahhhhh we're talkin'. I really like this one Hossein!

The yellow light on the tree leaves is really nice.

Hossein Alfideh

Quote from: Will Gibbons on October 27, 2016, 10:14:01 AM
Naaaahhhhh we're talkin'. I really like this one Hossein!

The yellow light on the tree leaves is really nice.

Thanks Will for helping to improve this scene dude!  ;)
that yellow light appeared by the IES light I used for the shadows as you suggested  :)

Speedster

That last image is truly super!  I love the element of mystery you've captured- make you want to know more...

Maybe still a tad bright on the street side walls?

Very well done!!!

Bill G

Esben Oxholm

Very nice progression!
That really helped. Way better now :)

Hossein Alfideh

Quote from: Speedster on October 27, 2016, 03:06:26 PM
That last image is truly super!  I love the element of mystery you've captured- make you want to know more...

Maybe still a tad bright on the street side walls?

Very well done!!!

Bill G

Thanks Bill for the kind words  :)
I've added a light close to the street wall and decreased the HDRI brighness but that wall became a bit dark,so I increased the texture brightness a little to get the feeling that the street light is close to that wall  ;)

Quote from: Esben Oxholm on October 27, 2016, 11:15:27 PM
Very nice progression!
That really helped. Way better now :)

yes , of course! thanks to you for those great suggestions  :)

NM-92

Bravo for all the tweaks. You made an excellent shot.