How to use Transmission Out in Liquid material...

Started by Finema, October 26, 2016, 02:18:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Finema

Hi,
I've created an image of a whisky glass not improved yet (in attachment below) and i would like to know if i use Liquid Transmission Out correctly ?
I've put material liquid on the top of the whisky (separate part modeling )  and add color in Transmission Out (see the screenshot in attachment).
The documentation isn't clear about that...
It's correct or not ?
Thank you for your consultings
PS : adjustments are correct between glass and liquid (IOR, etc...)

Will Gibbons

I can't remember the settings I used in my most recent glass rendering. Your results look great though! I especially like seeing those droplets. If they are supposed to be condensation, they likely wouldn't go to the top of the glass, unless it's supposed to look like it just got rinsed under a faucet before the drink was poured.

I like the choice in color.

Finema

Yes you are right Will for the condensation  ;)
Do you think the top of the liquid is OK ?
Thanks

Will Gibbons

Transmission Out color should be the color of light on the outside of that surface. For example, on the liquid inside the glass, the Transmission out should be the color of the glass. If the glass is blue, then the Transmission Out color of the whiskey material inside the glass should be blue. For the top surface, you've made them the same color. If I'm not mistaken, the Transmission Out color for the top surface should be set to white, assuming the 'outer surface' is facing up (against air, and not down, against the whiskey).

Sorry for the many words. A bit tough to describe.

fario

il est top ton rendu bravo!
Dis moi? comment fais tu pour créer des gouttes sur ton verre, avec quelle appli?

Merci  ;)

Finema

Ok
then, the Transmission Out color of top of the whisky will be white ?
Right ?

Finema

Quote from: Antoine on October 26, 2016, 07:47:33 AM
il est top ton rendu bravo!
Dis moi? comment fais tu pour créer des gouttes sur ton verre, avec quelle appli?

Merci  ;)

Salut Antoine
pour les gouttes, je le fais dans Keyshot > je fais un Emboss sur le verre (fichiers drops que l'on peut trouver sur poliigon.com)

Finema

What is the more realistic render of the top of the liquid between Transmission Out color or Transmission Out White ?
I don't know any more... and just know what is the right way to proceed in Keyshot for this kind of render.
Thanks
ps : do not focus on the zippo  ;D

INNEO_MWo

Here is a short sketch (many thanks to Richard Funnel from Luxion) to explain the glass, ice and different liquid materials.

hope that helps

fario

Finema

Quote from: MWo on October 26, 2016, 10:06:10 AM
Here is a short sketch (many thanks to Richard Funnel from Luxion) to explain the glass, ice and different liquid materials.

hope that helps

Thanks but i know that perfectly and I control glass/liquid  ;) Moreover your graphic isn't really correct. Here the best way : https://www.keyshot.com/2016/render-liquid-glass-keyshot/
But the real question is How to use Transmission Out in Liquid material...

INNEO_MWo

Quote from: Finema on October 26, 2016, 10:21:17 PM

hope that helps

The answer is: use the dielectric material type. So you have the full control about the inside and outside IOR.

Finema

Quote from: MWo on October 27, 2016, 12:48:23 AM
Quote from: Finema on October 26, 2016, 10:21:17 PM

hope that helps

The answer is: use the dielectric material type. So you have the full control about the inside and outside IOR.
I use dielectric material and control IOR > that's OK :)
the question is how to use Transmission Out color for the top of the liquid  ;) white or whisky color in Transmission Out ?
thanks

Will Gibbons

I also use dielectric material on all liquids. However, your two renderings... color vs. white. I think white is more correct since it leaves the top surface more reflective, making the fresnel effect more noticeable. The lower your camera gets, the more shiny that surface will appear (which is correct). If you make it colored (to match the whiskey), it'll be too saturated.

As far as I'm aware, it should be white.

Finema

Thanks Will and I think like you. In this cas, White is better than colored Transmission Out.