Incredibly slow rendering

Started by Livingstone, November 08, 2016, 09:52:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Livingstone

Hi guys ,
I hope you can help me . I am trying to render an image at 2850x1400.
Not too big , I rendered files at 8Kx8K in the past but I have problems with the image attached below.
The one below is the screenshot at 1920 x 943 . In the Keyshot interface it reach an acceptable quality in 5 minutes but when I start the real render it became really slow. After 1h 35 minutes it was at 1%
image size :2850x1400
samples 16
Ray bounces 10
Anti aliasing 1
shadow 1
GI 1
Pixel Blur 1.5
Solid matte plastic and metal materials only , no translucency.
A simple HDRI studio light .
file in JPG , no additional rendering layers. I am using all the 8 cores of my computer.
I really don't understand why the rendering is so slow compared with the realtime interface if the rendering settings are so basic .
Any idea?

Will Gibbons

That does sound slow... are you able to share the scene? That way we can poke around and see what's causing it.

guest84672

Use Max Time or Max Samples instead.

Livingstone

Hi Will,
Sorry if I take so long to answer .
The KSP file is downloadable at the following link of my dropbox
https://www.dropbox.com/s/82hppzdj3qt0vld/grude%202D%20final.ksp?dl=0

Finally I was able to render at 2500x1228 with samples=8 and ray bounces = 2 in 28 minutes . Ok for this static rendering but not good for animations if there is any glass in the scene.
Maybe the problem is the fur is made with 400000 hair? and sure to use a Dell Precision Laptop to render is not the best, right ?
Below the final render with some Photoshop edit for the light blue hair tone .
Please let me know if you try to render the scene and get quick  hi-res rendering with different settings/hardware configuration.