Rendered an alluminium case, need help

Started by Patobeek, November 28, 2016, 06:34:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patobeek

So I have rendered this case for a client, they are not satisfied, is there anyway I can improve it and make it more photorealistic?
Cheers,
Pato :)

Robb63

The biggest thing will be to find a good HDRI that makes the metal pop, and then adjusting the roughness of the metal to get an interesting reflection.

Sometimes you will find a lighting environment that works for one part of the image, but not the other. Then you can render two separate images, and combine them in Photoshop.

Good luck

Patobeek

Thanks, I just came across of huge HDRI collection, will give them a try.

INNEO_MWo

watch this:

and take a look at this example

Patobeek

Is this one better?

Will Gibbons

I'd recommend you compare your image to photographs of something similar and try to get them to match as much as possible. To me, the biggest issue here is that your light source is illuminating the top and back of the case, not the front or its contents. Try rotating your HDRI by holding control on the keyboard and left-click dragging in your real-time view to get the light to brighten up the front of the case. I'd try using an interior HDRI (not studio) because the metal will reflect elements of the interior giving more contrast in value and color. You can also add pins using the HDRI editor (if you have KeyShot Pro) to place lights where you need them.

Good luck.

DMerz III

Question, I'm curious if there's a reason you're not using a ground in this image. Was it requested that there'd be no shadows?

I think ground shadows would help this image look more "photo-realistic" immediately. Then you could mess around with higher contrast HDRs and perhaps some rotation of the lights as Will mentioned would help after the fact.

Patobeek

@Will Gibbons

Thank You for the suggestions, I will try that :)

@dmerziii

Agreed! But it was requested without any ground shadows :/

MisterNeil

Hello,

I would like to add what Will mentioned earlier about "compare your image to photographs." I too reference photographs found in brochures or Google searches, etc for lighting ideas, inspiration, etc. And as a last resort, test and review all of the supplied HDRs found in KeyShot. You'll be surprised on how a certain HDR can make a difference!

Good luck. I look forward to seeing your latest updated rendering.

Neil