Main Menu

Animated material mirror

Started by HaroldL, December 10, 2016, 12:15:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HaroldL

While working on an animated material I got it to change from one visual to another. But when I wanted to change it back I couldn't mirror the animation in the timeline. That would be a nice ability to have.

IF there is a way to do that, please let me know.

DriesV

Hey Harold,

You can't currently mirror material animations. The reason is that you can have only one animation node connected to a material's channel.
You will have to extend the animation's time and add color stops in reverse (if you used a Color Fade animation).

Dries

HaroldL

Quote from: DriesV on December 11, 2016, 04:59:32 AM
. . . you can have only one animation node connected to a material's channel.
You will have to extend the animation's time and add color stops in reverse (if you used a Color Fade animation).

Dries
Hi Dries,
In my case I am using Number Fades. What I ended up doing is creating another material and reversing all the number fades appropriately. I think I understand your point when using Color Fade. In this case it will be a "one-way trip" for the material change so I don't need to go back to the original.

One more thing for the Wish List.  When you add number fades KS will number them sequentially; Number Fade 1, Number Fade 2, etc. It would be helpful, I think, if the number fade would adopt the name of the node it was connected to, ie; Number Fade Bump Height, Number Fade Base Color, etc. When you have several Number Fades it would help to sort them out when viewing the Mat Graph when zoomed in and you don't see where the connector lines are going or when viewing the animation time line.

Just a thought.