Main Menu

Wood 'N Spaces

Started by bdesign, December 13, 2016, 04:26:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bdesign

This was done as a test of my Gloss to Roughness inversion study (reply #22 under this thread: https://www.keyshot.com/forum/index.php?topic=13729.15 ). Texture maps from poliigon.com

Cheers,
Eric

Finema

Great test Eric  ;) the render is perfect
Any chance to find this texture on the cloud ?

TpwUK

Gives a great result Eric ... I thought I had posted a script here for random material assignment for doing wooden floors (I can't find it though), would be interesting to see how well it works with your method. Will see if I can dig it out if you're interested.

Martin

Will Gibbons

bdesign

Quote from: Finema on December 13, 2016, 09:28:36 PM
Great test Eric  ;) the render is perfect
Any chance to find this texture on the cloud ?
Thank you very much, Philippe :)  Do you mean the wood texture map, or my KeyShot material, on the Cloud? Either way, this is an excerpt from POLIIGON's usage terms:

"You may not resell, redistribute, or repackage the textures without explicit permission from Poliigon."

So, I've sent a request to POLIIGON asking permission to redistribute. The texture set I used is titled "Wood Flooring 18" (along with some Dust, Wiping Residue, and Scratches for detailing).  For the time being, I'm attaching a screencap of the Material Graph setup.

Cheers,
Eric

bdesign

Quote from: TpwUK on December 14, 2016, 12:25:33 AM
Gives a great result Eric ... I thought I had posted a script here for random material assignment for doing wooden floors (I can't find it though), would be interesting to see how well it works with your method. Will see if I can dig it out if you're interested.

Martin

Thanks very kindly, Martin :) Sure thing, dig that script out! Let's see what we can do with it :)

Cheers,
Eric

bdesign

Quote from: Will Gibbons on December 14, 2016, 09:48:16 AM
Great image!
Thanks very much, Will! I really appreciate that :)

Cheers,
Eric

Despot

Very cool Eric, bringing together my two favourite things, wood textures and spheres ;)

Loving the micro scratch detail on the specular highlight of the leading sphere :)

NM-92

I love wood textures from poliigon. You really nailed it with this one.

bdesign

Quote from: Despot on December 14, 2016, 01:41:54 PM
Very cool Eric, bringing together my two favourite things, wood textures and spheres ;)

Loving the micro scratch detail on the specular highlight of the leading sphere :)
Thanky you very kindly, John! I truly appreciate the fact that you are such an astute observer of detail to the Nth degree. I was actually quite pleased with that exact spot on the sphere, and thought to myself "If anyone would notice and appreciate this little bit, it would be John" :)  Always really nice to hear from you, my friend :)

Cheers,
Eric

bdesign

Quote from: NM-92 on December 14, 2016, 02:17:56 PM
I love wood textures from poliigon. You really nailed it with this one.
Thanks so much, Nico! I was quite pleased with the way it turned out- I think the non-linear Gloss to Roughness greyscale inversion was a key factor. I would encourage you to check out the  post I referenced and give it a try. I think you may be pleasantly surprised and notice a significant improvement in the realism and "feel" when using Poliigon textures :)

Cheers,
Eric

bronson

Eric,

Wow! You really take it to the next level.
Amazing.

Bronson

bdesign

Quote from: bronson on December 14, 2016, 03:39:33 PM
Eric,

Wow! You really take it to the next level.
Amazing.

Bronson
Thank you, Bronson! Much appreciated :)

Cheers,
Eric

Magnus Skogsfjord

WOah, that is one lovely texture. As Nicolas mentioned: Those poliigon textures are fantastic. I like how the roughness goes black at the spaces between the boards.

That matgraph looks impressive! Never would have guessed that amount of complexity. How was the performance with this texture?

bdesign

Quote from: Magnus Skogsfjord on December 14, 2016, 04:33:11 PM
WOah, that is one lovely texture. As Nicolas mentioned: Those poliigon textures are fantastic. I like how the roughness goes black at the spaces between the boards.

That matgraph looks impressive! Never would have guessed that amount of complexity. How was the performance with this texture?
Thanks very much, Magnus! Always nice to get your observations and comments. I used a duplicate of the displacement map (which is basically just the grooves between the boards) in Color Composite nodes, along with other textures, for both the Specular and Roughness channels- as is for the Specular, and first plugged into a Color Invert node for the Roughness. It is a rather complex matGraph setup, but I'm a detail nut, and the spontaneity afforded by the material graph lends itself to sometimes getting "carried away" :) As far as the performance, I didn't really pay much attention, I just let it bake overnight :)

Cheers,
Eric