VR renders

Started by quigley, December 15, 2016, 09:53:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

quigley

I had the pleasure of testing out a full VR headset and software systems the other day, and realised that for the first time this stuff is within reach for most designers, both in terms of quality and utility. The Keyshot 7 sneek peek shows outputing in VR panorama modes. Is this going to be for static experiences (user standing in one location looking around) or can it be used as a dynamic experience, with realtime rendering as the user moves through the scene?

guest84672

We are looking at various things right now. The first implementation is for pre-rendered content only. VR with realtime rendering will require a lot of compute power.

eobet

For realtime VR, I think right now, the only solution which supports CAD formats is Autodesk VRED 2017.

We are testing it here at work using a HTC Vive headset, and it has some quirks, but the results are very impressive.

But as you say, this is for designers for use in the development process (and show to the client). Keyshot comes after, when the product is done and its time for marketing (and show the consumer).

guest84672

But it switches to OpenGL in VRED, doesn't it?

eobet

Yes. The original question was "realtime rendering as the user moves through the scene".

That requires OpenGL (or DirectX) for a full VR headset.

VRED has things like baked lighting, projected shadows and some simple emitters which still work in realtime, that can make the scene still look nice. Keyshot has only recently gotten an OpenGL preview mode, so I'm not expecting it to support realtime VR until at least Keyshot 8 or 9 (if ever).