Product Rendering with water droplets effect

Started by adrianyeo, December 26, 2016, 06:29:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

adrianyeo

KeyShot + 3D Blender + Photoshop

NM-92

Really cool man ! Are those droplets all geometry ? Materials and textures look spot on to my eyes, but something strange is happening in one of the big puddles, the one that's near the camera. The reflection looks pixelated there. Good work !

adrianyeo

Yes, i did it in 3D Blender using water simulation and import it into keyshot for rendering.
However it's a nightmare to clean up those droplet and place it on the right spot.

Will Gibbons

First off, this is killer. I absolutely love the water droplets.

Two things that would take this from very good to excellent. As Nico pointed out, there is some strange pixelated refraction going on in one of the puddles. I'd try re-rendering just to see if it persists. Also, the holes/mesh (which appear to be created with an opacity map in KeyShot could benefit from a corresponding bump or normal map to somewhat round the edges of the perforations. KeyShot has a corresponding normal and opacity map in its textures library you could use to get the effect. Lastly, since the droplets on the speaker mesh are applied in blender (to a flat surface), they streak as if they're applied to a solid surface (not a perforated one). Not sure of the best solution here, but maybe reducing the size of the water droplet streaks there to make it less obvious would help solve this.

As I said earlier. Super-nice materials and great model. Would love to see it pushed!

Speedster

This is really neat!  But for some reason, I don't feel that the droplets are "connected" to the surface.  Maybe a meniscus thing?  Not sure, and maybe my eyes are deceiving me?
Bill G

adrianyeo

Yes, I agree that but it really not easy to blend in the droplet to create a realistic splash proof effect on the product in 3D.

adrianyeo

Btw here's an another simulation splash effect on the product that i have render just for artistic impression.

Speedster

adrianyeo

Thanks! I'm a graphic designer, just started(2year plus) using keyshot and 3D Blender for all our product rendering and lifestyle images, mood shot...etc

Esben Oxholm

Hot stuff!

Materials and lighting looks great!
I do also like the water. Did something similar droplet-wise a few weeks back and it is not easy too pull off.
I think you did quite well!

I think it would look cool and help to enhance the dynamic feeling in the shot of the red speaker, if it was tilted slightly... but it is a minor thing :)