Robin Williams Likeness -- KS Skin Material Project

Started by jnguyen3d, December 29, 2016, 11:57:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jnguyen3d

Hi all!! My last project had me wondering how far I could push myself using Keyshot's translucency materials. So here's a progress shot of Robin! I'm using the Translucent (Advanced) material for his skin. The surface color is the polypaint I did by hand in Zbrush. The lighting setup is a combination of the HDRI environment and two additional physical lights for the key and rim.
(Note: the below shot is from Keyshot's realtime render)

Please, any comments and critiques are appreciated!

Will Gibbons

Really great! The only thing that jumps out to me is the subtle grid effect you see on the skin... there may be some tweaks that could fix that.

jnguyen3d

Quote from: Will Gibbons on December 30, 2016, 06:07:34 AM
Really great! The only thing that jumps out to me is the subtle grid effect you see on the skin... there may be some tweaks that could fix that.
Thanks, Will! Yeah, I believe it's a product of the real-time render.
I tweaked the lighting and a couple other things .. here's the update!

Finema

Will Gibbons

You're correct. Wow! Really nice on the skin. Lots of great details in there. Only thing that jumps out is the hair looks a bit soft/fuzzy. Any way to add more sheen to it? May help.

jnguyen3d

Here's an update, everyone. I decided to go a slightly different route with the render. This is a screenshot from Keyshot's real time view.
I also re-did most of the hair since I wasn't very happy with the results before. And I learned a couple of new things about importing fibermesh into Keyshot.

Will Gibbons

Esben Oxholm

Great work. Hair is definitely better on the second one.

Maybe it is just me, but I think that the skin looks a tad too yellow. He looks kinda sick to me :)

Bruce27

Quote from: jnguyen3d on January 05, 2017, 03:24:42 PM
Here's an update, everyone. I decided to go a slightly different route with the render. This is a screenshot from Keyshot's real time view.
I also re-did most of the hair since I wasn't very happy with the results before. And I learned a couple of new things about importing fibermesh into Keyshot.
Beautiful work!

jnguyen3d

Quote from: Bruce27 on January 07, 2017, 02:25:23 AM
Beautiful work!
Quote from: Esben Oxholm on January 07, 2017, 01:46:12 AM
Great work. Hair is definitely better on the second one.

Maybe it is just me, but I think that the skin looks a tad too yellow. He looks kinda sick to me :)

Thank you, both! And I definitely agree with you about the skin.. So, I decided to revisit the textures and give it a 2nd pass. Here's the result.. I am happy with it now and will call this finished! Raw render from Keyshot, no post processing (minus adding my website to it, haha).Thanks again everyone for the kind words and critiques. On to the next project!

jnguyen3d

Wanted to add more views of Robin! And a render of just the sculpting.

TpwUK

It's a truly awesome piece and each render you post shows improvement. I wish I could offer advice on how to bring life to it more, Marco Di Lucca would know what to advice.

Martin