The Movies Render Vault

Started by NM-92, January 02, 2017, 09:35:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NM-92

This is one of your best Bruce ! Nice texture work, and cool choice.

Bruce27

Quote from: NM-92 on February 27, 2017, 09:32:28 AM
Thanks NM-92. As mentioned in previous posts, I really like this space reserved for the world of film. I only regret that the other guys do not comment on a lot of my post, you are the only one who does. This is not a negative criticism at all, but only a comment on the work done (positive or negative), it helps to improve the practice of renderings. Thank you!

NM-92

Quote from: Bruce27 on February 28, 2017, 09:47:07 PM
Thanks NM-92. As mentioned in previous posts, I really like this space reserved for the world of film. I only regret that the other guys do not comment on a lot of my post, you are the only one who does. This is not a negative criticism at all, but only a comment on the work done (positive or negative), it helps to improve the practice of renderings. Thank you!

Bruce, sometimes this happens. Don't worry, try to participate a bit more on other threads, so others can notice you and comment on your work as well. I think that the most important thing here is to try and read all the advices (nevermind if it's about your work or not) and try to apply it to your future projects. I'm sure that if you read other threads you can find useful information that you can use to improve your own renderings. Give it a try.

Magnus Skogsfjord

I'll throw in my sympathies there. It's a difficult world to get noticed. I tend to steer away from commenting on zbrush/sculpting models, simply because I feel I have nothing to contribute with (at least not modelling/texturing-wise). I think it often looks really great, and it's fascinating to see the level of detail which is manageable to achieve in these tools. My typical thoughts on these kind of renders will also be on a personal level, and I would feel bad if I threw around a bunch of negative views on something that obviously has been spent a lot of time on (unless critique is inquired, that is). I also feel I still have a lot to learn, so I'm a bit reluctant to "preach" my thoughts to experienced 3D artists. I am, after all, an educated engineer, and not a 3D artist per se.

I could try to critique your work though, if you don't mind me doing so, but keep in mind these are my personal thoughts:

1. The geometry and texturing looks great! What material are you using? Are you using a roughness map? I would reckon some more translucency could liven it up, but it definitely works for a plastic figurine which you are clearly trying to pull off here.

2. The green background does not work for me. It kinda makes the subject a bit dull/flat. Maybe brighten it up with some livelier brighter colors, like a wide halo around the subject. Alternately maybe emphasize the ground with more visible shadows. Maybe a brighter ground could do it. There are a lot of great examples in auto renders which I believe can be incorporated with this kind of subject, but we can  look at a simpler object: https://0.s3.envato.com/files/29747259/preview3.jpg (the vignette is a tad too strong for my taste here though)

3. This goes outside the image you've posted, but I would love to see it with a white/gray translucent (advanced) material, like a clay render.

Hope that wasn't too harsh:)

EDIT: Aaaand, I'm sorry to take this off topic! I also meant to say I have a project in the pipeline for this thread, but the modelling is a long term project! A lot of cool stuff here.

Bruce27

Quote from: NM-92 on March 01, 2017, 08:47:18 PM

Bruce, sometimes this happens. Don't worry, try to participate a bit more on other threads, so others can notice you and comment on your work as well. I think that the most important thing here is to try and read all the advices (nevermind if it's about your work or not) and try to apply it to your future projects. I'm sure that if you read other threads you can find useful information that you can use to improve your own renderings. Give it a try.

Thank you so much for what you said! ;)

Bruce27

Quote from: Magnus Skogsfjord on March 02, 2017, 02:33:47 AM
I'll throw in my sympathies there. It's a difficult world to get noticed. I tend to steer away from commenting on zbrush/sculpting models, simply because I feel I have nothing to contribute with (at least not modelling/texturing-wise). I think it often looks really great, and it's fascinating to see the level of detail which is manageable to achieve in these tools. My typical thoughts on these kind of renders will also be on a personal level, and I would feel bad if I threw around a bunch of negative views on something that obviously has been spent a lot of time on (unless critique is inquired, that is). I also feel I still have a lot to learn, so I'm a bit reluctant to "preach" my thoughts to experienced 3D artists. I am, after all, an educated engineer, and not a 3D artist per se.

I could try to critique your work though, if you don't mind me doing so, but keep in mind these are my personal thoughts:

1. The geometry and texturing looks great! What material are you using? Are you using a roughness map? I would reckon some more translucency could liven it up, but it definitely works for a plastic figurine which you are clearly trying to pull off here.

2. The green background does not work for me. It kinda makes the subject a bit dull/flat. Maybe brighten it up with some livelier brighter colors, like a wide halo around the subject. Alternately maybe emphasize the ground with more visible shadows. Maybe a brighter ground could do it. There are a lot of great examples in auto renders which I believe can be incorporated with this kind of subject, but we can  look at a simpler object: https://0.s3.envato.com/files/29747259/preview3.jpg (the vignette is a tad too strong for my taste here though)

3. This goes outside the image you've posted, but I would love to see it with a white/gray translucent (advanced) material, like a clay render.

EDIT: Aaaand, I'm sorry to take this off topic! I also meant to say I have a project in the pipeline for this thread, but the modelling is a long term project! A lot of cool stuff here.

Thank you for the time you've spent on me! The material is made to recreate a pattern resin, a statue of the collection, is not an "organic" material. The background has a green color (in my opinion) evokes the vegetation of Jurassic Park; as soon as I have some time I hope to do a rendering with a lighter background and a translucent white / gray material. Thank you for your advice / opinions. ;)

Bruce27

Quote from: Magnus Skogsfjord on March 02, 2017, 02:33:47 AM

As material for the T-Rex I used a simple Paint. I enclose picture of the material graph.

Magnus Skogsfjord

Looking nice, Bruce! I've sent you a PM so we don't clutter up this thread :)

Bruce27

As promised to Magnus, I have created a rendering clay material for the T-Rex. ;)

Will Gibbons

Nice! I think some of the sculpted detail would jump out with an HDRI that has more contrast. Have you tried one of the 3 panels environments? They're in the studio folder.

Bruce27

Quote from: Will Gibbons on March 13, 2017, 07:16:02 AM
Nice! I think some of the sculpted detail would jump out with an HDRI that has more contrast. Have you tried one of the 3 panels environments? They're in the studio folder.

Here is the proof! ;)

Will Gibbons

Bruce27

Bruce27

Hi guys! I think that my job is to be placed in this space, as it is one of the most beautiful of Wolverine movie.
Thank you ;)

Magnus Skogsfjord

Clay render looks awesome, Bruce :) Love the Logan poster as well.