Help/advice with interior scene

Started by rfollett, January 19, 2017, 11:36:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rfollett

I am trying to re-create a render I found. I have uploaded the rhino 3dm file and the KS KSP file to dropbox.

I can never seem to get the light right, can you offer and tips please?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gy3rgjtkjetr5ez/interior-scene.3dm?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/buks8ihgaf64rhp/interior-scene.ksp?dl=0

NM-92

Hey man. I took a quick shot at your scene. Obviusly i doubt i can achieve the quality of your reference image but here's what i've done in case it helps. I changed the lighting scheme, and put an IES light source outside the wall functioning as the sun. Also outside the window i put an emissive plane with a texture to simulate a backplate. Finally i finished lighting the rest of the scene with the "Conference_Room_3k" HDRI.

Besides lighting i also reworked some of the materials as this also interacts with light. Mainly i re-textured almost everything taking advantage of UV mapping (The models are unwrapped and ready to use).

Play with the HDRI a little, change the rotation, contrast and brightness until you are sattisfied with the results. Hope it helps.

rfollett

Hi and thank you for taking the time to do all this.. Would it be possible to get the KSP file?

Really appriciate your help

NM-92

Unfortunately i didn't save it and as i used many textures from Poliigon i think i cannot redistribute the file. Anyway, this took me around 15-20 minutes of work over the file you provided. I encourage you to try it and play, you'll understand more and discover a lot of things through practicing.

Just remember, add an IES light outside and point it to the window. Change HDRIS to finish lighting the scene, and work on the materials a bit more. Many of the materials in your scene were just set to diffuse, so this will also affect on how the lighting looks. Anything you need i'll be happy to help.

DMerz III

I'm going to take a stab at this, but NM-92 mentioned, materials will go a long way here. I will also send you my KSP when I'm finished. I tweaked a bunch of materials, and they're just mostly roughed in at the moment, but a major thing would be to never use 100% white as a color. Your walls will never look right, in reality, the color 100% white is pretty impossible to achieve. Wall paint can only reflect a certain percentage of light back to your eye.

My quick attempt should be done rendering in about an hour.

rfollett

Thank you - look forward to the end result

DMerz III

I don't think I got the best result. But I hopefully got a good start going for you. I added a ceiling and walls and enclosed the space. I changed up the materials, adding bumps, and roughness maps based off your current texture maps. I also added two panels for the light. The one outside the window is a warm color, I believe 5600K or something similar to cast a warm bright sunlight into the scene. On the opposite wall out of the view, there's another window opening with much cooler light 7200K perhaps, that shines in a "bounced" light look. It gives a little blueish cast in the shadow areas.

If I had more time, I'd experiment a little more, as I do not think I achieved quite the right midtones in the walls. I also increased indirect bounces and all of that.

KSP: https://www.dropbox.com/s/fo38eohfj9smnc6/InteriorTest_DM.ksp?dl=0

Here's a screenshot of what I was going for and also a rendered out image. The settings need to be adjusted as I think it still has some cleaning up to do. The scene is also slightly too warm for what I was hoping for.

Esben Oxholm

Hi rfollett.
Great practice subject!

Besides what has been said about the materials already, I will also suggest you to pay closer attention to the camera settings. Part of what makes this image great (in my eyes) is the composition, the use of a long focal length and depth of field.

I've tried to create something close to the reference image. Besides the camera-settings I've changed the scene units to meters, added in a ceiling and walls to create an enclosed room, using a hdri with a cloudy blue sky, changed the brightness to 3, a few materials adjustments and changed the rendering mode to interior. It is not perfect at all, but might help you in the right direction.

KSP: https://we.tl/e0GCDHRhGu

rfollett

Hi Esben,
thank you - looks great!
Can I ask what you did in post?

Cheers Rich

Esben Oxholm

Quote from: rfollett on January 25, 2017, 02:43:45 AM
Hi Esben,
thank you - looks great!
Can I ask what you did in post?
Thanks, sure.
Just a bit of color adjustments, levels, sharpening and custom 'bloom'.

DMerz III

Very nice Esben! I noticed after I did my test that the scene "scale" and units seemed a bit off. Good catch!

Artvps

I also enclosed the room for this render. I added an area light diffuse to the plane that is just outside the window, this was the main light source. I used a smaller one inside the room that I used as a fill light.
I was also using the interior mode.

Will Gibbons

Fun to see everyone's take on this one!

Quote from: Artvps on February 06, 2017, 07:12:12 PM
I also enclosed the room for this render. I added an area light diffuse to the plane that is just outside the window, this was the main light source. I used a smaller one inside the room that I used as a fill light.

I really like the result you got here! Great job.

rfollett

Quote from: Artvps on February 06, 2017, 07:12:12 PM
thank you - the sofa material looks great, is this on the cloud?

Artvps

"I really like the result you got here! Great job."

Thanks very much Will, I appreciate your comment.
Like rfollett, I continue to look to improve on my lighting for interiors.

Thanks again Will