Animate from rought to polished possible?

Started by Hawks89, January 21, 2017, 01:52:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawks89

All,

is it possible to have a rough bar say "rough aluminum", and have something sweep the surface and as it does the surface of the bar changes from rough to a polish look?

TpwUK

Not in one swoop as far as I know ... Two renders of the animation, one with rough, one with polished and then compositing the results via a third party app should get it done though

Martin

LayC42

That is easy. Every channel or value, that can be driven by textures can also be animated vie color-fade or number animation. So you can animate the roughness and/or the bumps.

Do you need an example?

LayC42

and here's the example.

bdesign

Here's another example, utilizing a Color Gradient node with animated Shift value as a mask to follow the movement of the polishing bar. The two methods here are done with 1) a single material and 2) a layered material, animating the Roughness value and label Opacity respectively. KSP file attached.

Cheers,
Eric
https://vimeo.com/200607622
https://vimeo.com/200607662
https://vimeo.com/200611308

TpwUK

Quote from: bdesign on January 22, 2017, 07:01:49 PM
Here's another example, utilizing a Color Gradient node with animated Shift value as a mask to follow the movement of the polishing bar. The two methods here are done with 1) a single material and 2) a layered material, animating the Roughness value and label Opacity respectively. KSP file attached.

Cheers,
Eric

Well that's me put to shame  :-[ ... But I don't mind, it's a cool and elegant solution Eric!

Martin

LayC42

Hey Eric.

I'm glad, that this is no competition in here. I like your solution a lot. For my apologies - my solution was build up in half an hour on a ride in a train.

BUT!!!! - I pull my hat (german phrase!)

cheers
Marco

Hawks89

Awesome! Thanks for the help guys.  Rendering as we speak. Is it possible to stop and save a partial render midway thru and start it back up again later?

DriesV

Quote from: Hawks89 on January 23, 2017, 06:12:31 PM
Awesome! Thanks for the help guys.  Rendering as we speak. Is it possible to stop and save a partial render midway thru and start it back up again later?

You can do partial animation rendering by specifying either a Work area or Frame range in the Animation Output settings.
You cannot pause and resume still renderings across KeyShot sessions.

Dries

Hawks89

Was worried last night that an animation I was doing from home would not have been done before I headed out for work the next morning. Luckily I only had a few frames left so it worked out. Will KS7 have the capability or give either an estimated render time or a time stamp of how long the render ended up taking. I'm only working with 8 cores so most of my bigger stuff I will run in the evening.

bdesign

Once you decide on the resolution and max samples per frame, you can render a few still images (e.g. first, middle, and last frames), taking note of the render time for each, then average the render times and multiply by the total number of frames, to get a rough estimate of total render time. For the total render time after completion (Windows OS), navigate to the frames folder for the animation, and check the time stamp (under the "Date modified" column) for the first and last frames, and calculate the difference. If you don't see the date and time listed for the frames, expand the "More options" drop down arrow in the upper right corner of the window and select  "Details".

Cheers,
Eric

Esben Oxholm

Quote from: Hawks89 on January 24, 2017, 01:47:23 PM
Was worried last night that an animation I was doing from home would not have been done before I headed out for work the next morning. Luckily I only had a few frames left so it worked out. Will KS7 have the capability or give either an estimated render time or a time stamp of how long the render ended up taking. I'm only working with 8 cores so most of my bigger stuff I will run in the evening.
I would suggest to render out the animation as single frames and stitch it together in i.e. after effects.
That way you can always stop rendering whenever you want and use the work range / frame range option as Dries points to, to start up again where you left of.