Material Study: Thin Film (+Pearlescent Paint v2)

Started by bdesign, February 19, 2017, 06:51:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bdesign

Some WIP tests using the Thin Film material. Tarnished copper and pearlescent metal flake paint.

Cheers,
Eric

Esben Oxholm

bdesign

Quote from: Esben Oxholm on February 20, 2017, 12:20:55 AM
Nice! Looks great!
Thanks, Esben! Since the Thin Film material can't be applied as a label, it's another "reverse approach".

Cheers,
Eric

imikej

It would be great to see these applied to something with less surface area transitions.  Or, something where there are bigger spaces in between the transitions.  These look very promising!

DetroitVinylRob

Magnus Skogsfjord

Both are very nice, but I absolutely love the pearlescent one. Makes me want to dive back into the stratocaster model to crack that fret board material once and for all!

DMerz III

bdesign

Quote from: imikej on February 20, 2017, 11:04:15 AM
It would be great to see these applied to something with less surface area transitions.  Or, something where there are bigger spaces in between the transitions.  These look very promising!
Thanks, Mike! I'll do some renders on other surfaces when I get a chance :)

Cheers,
Eric

bdesign

bdesign

Quote from: Magnus Skogsfjord on February 20, 2017, 12:38:46 PM
Both are very nice, but I absolutely love the pearlescent one. Makes me want to dive back into the stratocaster model to crack that fret board material once and for all!
Thanks very much, Magnus! I'll post the pearlescent material after I do some more testing :)

Cheers,
Eric

Will Gibbons

bdesign

Version 2 of the pearlescent metal flake paint, rendered on a speed shape model by Jeff Patton: http://jeffpatton.net/speed-shapes/. Thanks to Esben for the link.

Cheers,
Eric

DMerz III

Eric, do you mind explaining a bit of your process for developing this look? I know you mentioned the "reverse approach"... Are you starting with Thin Film as the substrate and adding the "copper metal" or "metallic paint" as labels?