Assigning different materials to individual patterened parts in SolidWorks

Started by Chris B, February 19, 2017, 10:55:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris B

Hello,

Just starting out with Keyshot.  Absolutely loving it so far!

I've read how to color different parts in SolidWorks, so you can apply different materials to them.
But how to do that when it's a pattern of a single SolidWorks part?

I figured out how to color them individually in SW.  But they come into Keyshot still as one.

Any ideas?  Would help a lot!
Thanks

PS:  I want a different wood grain on each of these pieces like you'd see in real life.

PPS:  I can achieve it by saving as Parasolid, and importing that.  But not acceptable because then we loose the Livelinking.  Needs to be native SW files.

INNEO_MWo

Quote from: Chris B on February 19, 2017, 10:55:19 PM
I've read how to color different parts in SolidWorks, so you can apply different materials to them.
But how to do that when it's a pattern of a single SolidWorks part?

I figured out how to color them individually in SW.  But they come into Keyshot still as one.

Does the color of this components are the same on part level? Then (I guess) KeyShot is importing right.
You can select all the parts (e.g. by a search string) and unlink 'em all to apply different materials.

Quote from: Chris B on February 19, 2017, 10:55:19 PM
PPS:  I can achieve it by saving as Parasolid, and importing that.  But not acceptable because then we loose the Livelinking.  Needs to be native SW files.

You can also work with exported parasolid files. Because if you re-import a parasolid file, than you can choose the update geometry option in import dialog and it should work like life linking and keep all applied materials if there are no color changes in SWX.

Chris B

QuoteYou can select all the parts (e.g. by a search string) and unlink 'em all to apply different materials.
Thanks for the idea.  Tried that, but Keyshot sees all six parts as only one part.  So cannot unlink each piece, it doesn't seem.

Seems like Keyshot treats SolidWorks patterned parts as one part?
Tried many import options, with same results

designgestalt

can you be more specific on the different options you chose for importing the parts (screengrabs?).
because I am pretty sure this is the problem, as we had a very similar problem just shortly ago ...

Chris B

[Solved]

Thanks @designgestalt !  Your comment combined with @MWo helped find the solution.

I had been importing by material, so all 6 pieces were grouped into one in KS. 
By Importing "Group by Object" I could see all 6 pieces in the scene, and then unlink material on each one like @MWo said.

Now it works.  Thanks you two  :)

INNEO_MWo

Glad to help.

If you check "separate materials by part" you should have individual materials (parts) without un-linking.

Cheers
Marco

Chris B

Hi Marco.  I tried your suggestion, and it does help.

It doesn't separate materials for parts patterned inside SolidWorks.
For those we still have to use the un-linking inside Keyshot.

But for all other parts it works great.

Thank you for another friendly tip. 
Really appreciate this software and this community.