Photorealistic wood grain entire door or table

Started by Chris B, February 20, 2017, 09:54:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris B

Hi all,

Been scratching my head over this for a while now...   

How would one texture an entire door or table in a wood grain, without repeating pattern?   ???

All the wood grain texture images I've seen are in reality only covering approximately 1 to 2 square feet.  So on a door or table, even if they are a nice seamless texture, they will either be stretched way too far, or be repeating and look fake.

Any help greatly appreciated!

Esben Oxholm

To get what you are asking for you would have to scan/photograph the entire door and make sure that the resolution is big enough to get as close as you need to in your renderings.

Not sure if easier ways exist?

Chris B

Yeah, that's what I was thinking.
The question I should have asked is, where to find such texture images?
Searched the most common texture websites, but no luck so far.

Probably I'll have to make my own.

Thanks Esben.  Really admire your work  :)

Esben Oxholm

Thanks a bunch, Chris.

I stumbled upon this one yesterday, covering 250x250cm. Not sure if it is the kind of wood you are looking for, though: https://flyingarchitecture.com/materials/piedroit-sl1-wooden-texture

Chris B

Yeah, I'm looking for one large panel, rather than planks of wood.
But this is a nice site.  Will be helpful for other things.  Bookmarked it.  Thanks  :)

DMerz III

The procedural wood in Keyshot might not get you the most realistic result, but it could be a good start if you're having trouble finding a large enough texture map.

Chris B

Ok.  Tried procedural wood, but couldn't get any realistic look.

Thinking best way might be in Photoshop.  Tile a seamless texture then use something that "pushes" or moves the wood grain around, to break up the repeating patterns.