Surface Overlapping problem in animation

Started by blueye89, March 08, 2017, 11:32:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blueye89

Hello to all,
I need advice about problem showed on this rendered video. Is there a way to avoid surface overlapping during a fade out effect? I don't want to create a gap between the touching parts cause gap will be visible and that is not good.

Any help is very appreciated.

Danijel

INNEO_MWo

Are you sure that a tiny gap of 0,001 will be visible in the animation?
And why do the front half of the part (that is fading out) need a surface to the section plane?

blueye89

Quote from: MWo on March 09, 2017, 12:49:28 AM
And why do the front half of the part (that is fading out) need a surface to the section plane?

I am trying to find the solution with bet results, so I will try with your ideas.
Is it possible to delete face(s) via Keyshot or I have to edit in CAD and add to Keyshot scene?

Esben Oxholm

Quote from: blueye89 on March 09, 2017, 01:43:53 AM
Is it possible to delete face(s) via Keyshot or I have to edit in CAD and add to Keyshot scene?
You can separate a surface using the geometry editor and then delete it.
Here's a quick introduction to the geometry editor if you haven't used it before:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2IGoUPY90A&t=5s

INNEO_MWo

Quote from: blueye89 on March 09, 2017, 01:43:53 AM
Quote from: MWo on March 09, 2017, 12:49:28 AM

I am trying to find the solution with bet results, so I will try with your ideas.

I would split the parts in CAD. It's almost easy and the right process chain.
Every action via geometry editor cuts the CAD files update option at re-import.

Which CAD tool do you use?

Esben Oxholm

Quote from: MWo on March 09, 2017, 02:43:04 AM
I would split the parts in CAD. It's almost easy and the right process chain.
Every action via geometry editor cuts the CAD files update option at re-import.
That is true and a very good point! The geometry editor can be handy though if you don't have direct access to the source file.

blueye89

Hello to all,
Thank you very much on useful suggestions that you provided. I will try this "geometry editor" tool that you mentioned. I agree with you that the best way is to edit a model directly in CAD, but for the modeling I am using Autodesk Inventor. As you know, there is no plugin which will make my work easier on relation "Modify in CAD & Update model in Keyshot". Some assemblies that I am working on are pretty complex and exporting a .step or .iges can take a long time, so the best way is to update just "modified" geometry. That is the reason why I will probably choose "geometry editor" tool in Keyshot.
By the way, many thanks to @Esben Oxholm for the webinar videos on youtube. I watched many of them in the last few weeks and your techniques are awesome.

guest84672

Why are you exporting an IGES or STEP file? You can import Inventor files natively into KeyShot on both Mac and PC. The lack of a plugin doesn't have anything to do with that.

And you can then always re-import the updated assembly, and select "update geometry".

blueye89

Quote from: thomasteger on March 09, 2017, 03:56:31 PM
Why are you exporting an IGES or STEP file? You can import Inventor files natively into KeyShot on both Mac and PC. The lack of a plugin doesn't have anything to do with that.

And you can then always re-import the updated assembly, and select "update geometry".

I export IGES or STEP once I have realized that during a import .ipt (multibody part) some faces are missing. I am working as a tire tread designer, so faces are pretty complex. I have started then to export to .step or .iges and the design was imported successful without loosing geometry.

guest84672

Can you share an example that exhibits the problem so we can fix it?

blueye89

Quote from: thomasteger on March 10, 2017, 06:23:47 AM
Can you share an example that exhibits the problem so we can fix it?
I have recorded an video which shows an of the problem during a import .ipt model (one pitch of tread pattern) into Keyshot. Unfortunately, I can't provide a model cause this is still project that I am working on. I believe in the near future I will be able to share a 3D model of the tire.

guest84672

Thanks for the info. I need the model so development can take a look.