How to render a realistic needle?

Started by fa2020, March 09, 2017, 12:03:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fa2020

Hi guys,
I've provided you a medical needle model which I've made it using 3ds MAX. Please use it in Keyshot software and render a photo-realistic image.
And if it's possible, please share the Keyshot file so that I could learn more about settings. Thanks

NM-92

I don't imagine this model anywhere else outside a studio, so by the lack of info, that's what i did. Playing with some stock materials can get you nice and clean results, the one attached is steel + clear rough plastic with some DoF. You can then add some dust and roughness for more realism, but being this a medical instrument i don't think this is what you're looking for. Didn't upload the BIP because i really did not do anything special, just drag and drop with a studio hdri.

DriesV

Depending on what look you're after, I would suggest to use the Advanced or Dielectric material for the plastic part.
Each material has distinct qualities and strengths:

• Dielectric has accurate 'color density', which means that thicker sections will have darker and more saturated colors.
  • Advanced has a uniform color (independent of thickness) and can be used to simulate scattering in transparent materials.
Both materials support 'roughness transmission', which allows for a more cloudy appearance (blurry on the inside of the material, but glossy on the outside surface).
[/list]

Attached is a rendering and sample scene to get you started.
Let me know if this helps.

Dries

DriesV

I can also add that KeyShot 7 will have a brand new scattering material.
This new material essentially blends together the best aspects of Dielectric (color density) and Advanced (scattering). It will also be much more accurate in how it interacts with light.

Attached is a sample rendering.

Dries

mattjgerard

Wow that plastic looks fantastic! That's exactly the look I've been working hard to achieve, and have gotten close. Now, if it interacts well with a strip of LED's inside it, then you'd better get me on the beta test team right quick!

Matt

NM-92

LayC42

Esben Oxholm

That new plastic material starts to get me excited!
Super useful for a project I'm about to work on :)

DriesV

Quote from: mattjgerard on March 09, 2017, 09:15:35 AM
Wow that plastic looks fantastic! That's exactly the look I've been working hard to achieve, and have gotten close. Now, if it interacts well with a strip of LED's inside it, then you'd better get me on the beta test team right quick!

Matt

OK, I couldn't resist...
Here are a few shots with Area Lights.  :)
There's one with 3 spheres (R, G, B) and one with a cylinder. It works pretty well.

Dries

mattjgerard

Wow. With the IES profiles I'm being provided from the engineers, this will probably take 3-4 hours off each project if it works.

#damnthatlookspretty