Revise region while rendering.

Started by guest83783, March 14, 2017, 08:55:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

guest83783

Have you ever got 50% through a render and thought to yourself that you'd like to omit some bits that aren't looking very good and for the software to concentrate on another part of the scene which is left to render?

I'm rendering a product bottle shot and I've been out and come back after about two hours to see that part of the render isn't looking great.   As you can imagine, the scene I'm rendering is portrait. 

The bottle and label look great but the plastic cap still needs some work.  Rather than wait for the top 25% and bottom 25% to finish rendering, it would be great if I could paint/select the bits I want to leave until last so that I can coax the software to finish the bottom part of the bottle so that I can end the render without having to wait for it to do the whole shebang.

Doing it this way would mean I'd have most of the work exported to .psd and all I'd have to do it rerender the cap.

Cheers

Andy

guest84672

This is the whole idea of realtime rendering. You can see what your product / materials / lighting etc looks like before committing to the final rendering. In particular if you make it a habit of using Max Samples you will be using the same render method in realtime as well as for the final rendering.

Chad Holton

Hi Andy,

Assuming you're using Pro, you can do region rendering and a clown pass. Example, revise the cap, do a region rendering of just the cap. Paste it all together using the clown pass for selection.

Chad

guest83783

Quote from: thomasteger on March 14, 2017, 10:40:35 AM
This is the whole idea of realtime rendering. You can see what your product / materials / lighting etc looks like before committing to the final rendering. In particular if you make it a habit of using Max Samples you will be using the same render method in realtime as well as for the final rendering.

Not really, often the output from a render differs from the rezzed up image you see in realtime rendering.

guest83783

Quote from: Chad Holton on March 14, 2017, 11:17:38 AM

Assuming you're using Pro, you can do region rendering and a clown pass. Example, revise the cap, do a region rendering of just the cap. Paste it all together using the clown pass for selection.

Hi Chad,

This was regarding ad hoc changes while rendering rather than having to stop, select a couple of regions .  Even with  region render you're often rendering bits that you don't need as it's square or rectangular...

Cheers

Andy

Will Gibbons

Quote from: 2DCube on April 26, 2017, 06:08:13 AM
Quote from: thomasteger on March 14, 2017, 10:40:35 AM

Not really, often the output from a render differs from the rezzed up image you see in realtime rendering.

Interesting feature idea.

It may if you're using Advanced Control. If you're using Max Time or Max Samples, the settings that determine your Real-time view will be used for the final rendering. So, if using Max Time/Samples, your results will be identical to the Real-time window.

I use Region Renders to do what you mentioned, or render layers to replace individual areas, such as the cap only in your position. That way when you re-render the cap, it'll only take a few minutes and you can comp it up in PS as you mentioned.

mattjgerard

I am making use of the render to layers feature more and more as I learn the best way to use it. it is basically a more in depth way of dealing with fixing stuff in post than a clown pass, including going back and rendering just one piece instead of the entire scene again.

My only wish is that for objects that overlap it would't mask out the object behind, but that gets complicated when dealing with light bouncing around and shadows and reflections, so I get why that's a large task that probably won't happen.

Render region is also great, as it gets the image quality up to noise free faster as all the cores are working on a smaller image. Love it.

guest83783

Quote from: mattjgerard on April 26, 2017, 07:49:27 AM
I am making use of the render to layers feature more and more as I learn the best way to use it. it is basically a more in depth way of dealing with fixing stuff in post than a clown pass, including going back and rendering just one piece instead of the entire scene again.

Yeah, I do the same but I still have to use the overall image behind due to the tiny transparency you get around objects.  Depending on the part sometimes you can move it a fraction to hide this in Photoshop.

Holding Ctrl and clicking on the tiny image shown in the Photoshop layers is another way around using clown pass.  Using the clown to select things can often leave some 'residue' too.  You can get rid of some of this by using Layer: Matting to defringe some stuff but it all helps.

One of my main requests is for a region render listing so that you can give a region a name and save it in a layer type hierarchy.

As an example, if I'm rendering packaging and I need a box rendering and then I turn on the ground plane and render part of a reflection I have to either render all the boxes first and then draw a region and then render all the reflections but each time I make a change I have to redraw the region.

I've been working on one product for over two years.  Every few weeks there are different graphics but it's the same box and same reflection.  Each time i do a glut of work I have to redraw the region for both passes.  If I could just assign a region to a render in the queue it would be a blessing.

I could set everything up and render region A and B just by checking a box and applying it.

Just a thought