Carbon fiber (Esben tutorial)

Started by SebasDesign, March 31, 2017, 07:23:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SebasDesign

Well I discovered that forum threads expire so I couldn't  continue in the "carbon fiber (study?)" thread I created a while ago... this one: https://www.keyshot.com/forum/index.php?topic=13494.msg67266#msg67266
Anyway with the new tutorial from Esben I wanted to try out his carbon material and compare it with the one I was using which was a metallic paint
Here's the tutorial just in case someone hasn't seen it yet: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tdniaayvR4&index=1&list=LL2dpOIozaS8w4V5DMj18yRQ
So I compared the materials in gloss and satined finish like last time with spheres and also tried out with the wing of my Koenigsegg One:1 model.
You can notice immediately the incredible depth the new material has compared to the old one...
(the ones on the left are the old material)
Let me know what you guys think and what would you do?

PS: these are quick renderings so don't mind the noise

-Sebas

SebasDesign

Here's a little more cocnrete example of the carbon material... 675LT side intakes, 256 samples, raw images
the first one has the old metallic paint carbon and the second one has the new anisotropic carbon

mattjgerard

These are fantastic, I'm a big fan of the carbon fiber look, so I really appreaciate the depth and clarity of the weave. Great look!

Will Gibbons

That bottom one looks really nice! Cool side-by-side studies!

Josh3D

Looks great Sebas.

(Fyi... The topics were set to autolock after 4 months of inactivity. We've increased that to 6 months.)

fario

nicordf

SebasDesign

Quote from: nicordf on April 04, 2017, 06:04:50 AM
Sweet!
Quote from: Antoine on April 04, 2017, 01:38:44 AM
wow!
fantastique!
Quote from: Josh Mings on April 03, 2017, 09:56:03 AM
Looks great Sebas.

(Fyi... The topics were set to autolock after 4 months of inactivity. We've increased that to 6 months.)
Quote from: Will Gibbons on April 03, 2017, 07:20:44 AM
That bottom one looks really nice! Cool side-by-side studies!
Quote from: mattjgerard on April 03, 2017, 06:01:31 AM
These are fantastic, I'm a big fan of the carbon fiber look, so I really appreaciate the depth and clarity of the weave. Great look!
Thanks for the kind words guys! I'm glad you liked it.
If there was such a thing as a "favorite material" this would 100% be my pick... ofc I have to thank Esben too for helping out in this quest for the best looking cgi carbon fiber (and in general all materials)
Still have to tweak it a little bit more though, I feel it's too gray right now and I like a little bit more contrast between the brights and darks in the material and this also affects how it interacts with the other materials in the scene