Main Menu

Mate to Model

Started by andy.engelkemier, April 17, 2017, 06:45:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

andy.engelkemier

I'm sure this one is around, but for some reason I couldn't find it.

Those of us that had used Bunkspeed before probably miss this feature. You could call it a number of different things, and it's not unique to Bunkspeed so it's not like you'd be stealing a feature.

Importing a model records its original location. You can then move that model. SHOOT. you forgot the wheels because that was in a different assembly. In keyshot you've got some work to do. But you Could just import, choose mate to model, and the wheels would snap into place.
WHAT? How does it do that? Well when you import, your object has it's own space. The original coordinates would be the same, so long as the wheels were from the same file. Even if they aren't, mating them to another model would come close.

Really all mate to model does is, match it's position, rotation and scale, all in one button. It would be nice if it's somehow linked as well, So perhaps make sure that it's linked by a parent group. But that seems to screw some things up in Keyshot, so I'll leave that to Luxion to figure out the best way to handle.

Example: I have drill with multiple attachments. I have those all in Rhino. I Carefully matched it to a photo so we could do some photoshop to make it look like the hand is holding the drill. Originally we wanted the hand drilling into something. So the drillbit was imported. Then someone said they wanted them screwing something. I didn't even have that in my original file.
So I line it up, easily, in Rhino, make sure things are layered out nicely there, and import just the new part. Well, it's no where near the correct position. I could just choose, "mate to model" and it would snap into place. OR, currently, i have to write down the position, rotation, and I suppose scale if I were to use that. Then go back to the new model and type them all in.

Is that difficult? No.
Does it take time? Yup.
Would you rather spend your time on other things, like getting your lighting right? You probably should. The default environment is Not cutting it.

DriesV

Hi Andy,

KeyShot 7 will allow you to copy the position of one part/model to another.

Dries

andy.engelkemier

well there you have it. Thanks