Main Menu

2.2 is slower?

Started by andy.engelkemier, February 07, 2011, 05:58:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

andy.engelkemier

I was getting 16FPS on the benchmark scene, now only 14.

PhilippeV8

I had 20-21-ish .. got 18-19 now ...

guest84672

Are you both using the camera.bip file?

andy.engelkemier

Yes, I am.
Although, if you remember, my speeds seem pretty slow for the specs of our machines anyway. Most people seem to be a Lot faster.

guest84672

I just ran a back to back test of KeyShot 2.1 vs. 2.2 on my MacBook Pro, and I am getting 14.5 FPS with both builds.

andy.engelkemier

could have something to do with hyperthreading or something like that then? I'm not really sure what's changed, but it's definitely a bit slower on our end.
We definitely dropped a couple (much needed) frames per second.

Also, not sure if it makes a difference, but this is Windows 7 Pro x64.

JeffM

Back to back I'm getting the exact same performance.

You could also install 2.1 to an alternate program folders location and do a back to back comparison if you would like.

andy.engelkemier

strange, not I'm getting 14.2 in both.

Also, a bit annoying, but I'm sure not too many have the same issue. I had floating using the bin folder, then the node locked using a renamed binfolder. When you run the node locked update it doesn't update the correct install.

I just reinstalled both and now it's fine. I'll just have to remember that in the future. One thing easy that might solve that though would be to actually have the floating install to a different location so you could update each without having to manually change things around.

guest84672

With KeyShot 2 you can actually install NL and FL into the same folder. Run the NL installer first, then the FL installer. You have both executables in the same bin folder. Works great.

Also, as far performance goes, my MacBook Pro has a Core2Duo chip. No HyperThreading.

JeffM

Andy, are you getting any less usage of your cores in the task manager in 2.2?

andy.engelkemier

As far as I can tell it's the same. It seems really close to 100% on all of them. Of course they bounce up and down as far as maybe 80% but that's pretty ordinary with most all renderings where you need to keep moving the mouse around and have just a few resources free to continue working in "real-time"

I guess we just have some old machines. They do ok, but definitely need to be updated. They still seem to be pretty competitive in Vray is all. That's what we end up comparing with for the most part.