Main Menu

Wood Material

Started by justindustrial, February 10, 2011, 08:58:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

justindustrial

Like a comprehensive material with realistic values such as grain width, length, colour, species, etc.

Nick Lumb

Seconded!
KS is obviously great for modellling cars and engineering projects but as a newbie (with v1.9 and considering purchasing v2) it feels like we woodworkers are a bit left out in the cold.

When growth rings are modelled properly, that means that no two adjacent faces have the same pattern.  I get the impression that this can be fudged by colouring individual faces in Alibre and then KS will assign a different 'material' to each face.  There are two huge difficulties with this: 1) Alibre does not yet support face colouring and 2) we would still need to align the pattern on one face with that on an adjacent face. 

Pleeease could we have a proper wood model that understands the grain inside a piece of wood, not just on one face?

guest84672

KS doesn't do any modeling, only rendering.

No face coloring in Alibre???

jhiker

Quote from: Thomas Teger on October 10, 2011, 05:54:01 AM

No face coloring in Alibre???

Not individual faces, no. Sometimes makes it tricky when applying textures and bump maps as they tend to 'wrap around' an object and that's not always desirable.

idesignstuff

I think they're asking for a volumetric procedural texture. can KS do that?

aelwin

Check out the amazing seamless Wood texture maker: http://www.spiralgraphics.biz/ww_overview.htm

I think it's amazing...takes some time to get to know it but runs smooth and makes great textures! Good Luck!!