Main Menu

Photogrammetry Test

Started by deniszen, May 25, 2017, 12:19:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deniszen

Hi,
this is a first test done with Reality Capture and rendered in Keyshot.

bronson

What the??? This is so realistic. Incredible render.
What is Realistic Capture anyway? New feature coming up to KS?

Bronson
www.pt-altraman.com

Will Gibbons

Photogrammetry, huh? Cool. I suspect we'll start seeing more scanned models and materials here on the forum. Definitely interesting.

deniszen

Quote from: bronson on May 25, 2017, 05:16:05 PM
What the??? This is so realistic. Incredible render.
What is Realistic Capture anyway? New feature coming up to KS?

Bronson
www.pt-altraman.com

Thanks Bronson,
photogrammetry is a technique that lets you get a 3D model by taking pictures of the real object. The cool thing is that you get the model (with UV) and the texture as well. Reality Capture is a software you can use to get it. More info here: www.capturingreality.com You can download the demo and have a try and for 99$ you can rent it for 3 months.

Here some screenshots of the model. As you can see it's very detailed, as it was scanned. This one is sort out of the box. The software lets you clean the model or have a low poly version. If you want I can give you a link to download it.

DMerz III

:D I've been looking into Photogrammetry a lot lately, this is a great example, well done!
Thank you so much for sharing, very inspiring.

deniszen

Quote from: DMerzIII on May 26, 2017, 08:33:28 AM
:D I've been looking into Photogrammetry a lot lately, this is a great example, well done!
Thank you so much for sharing, very inspiring.

Thanks.
Reality Capture is great, fast and (the promo/rent version) affordable. You just need to take photos all around your subject from different points of view, load them to the software and start the wizard (or step by step).
I also used Photoscan but this one is way faster.

mattjgerard

Geebuz, that's freaky real. Fun stuff to watch out for.

Speedster

Wow!  It seems like only yesterday I was using a slide rule!
Bill G

chriskup

This is way to good! Thanks for sharing, will definitely try the demo soon!

deniszen

Quote from: chriskup on May 30, 2017, 02:21:04 AM
This is way to good! Thanks for sharing, will definitely try the demo soon!

Thanks. Sure, it's worth it.

DMerz III

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the limitations with this would be that it doesn't work so well with reflective surfaces and also transparency is a no-go because it just confuses the software with the changing refractions. Did you do any kind of 'surface' preparation here before hand? I would think this leather case was 'diffuse' enough that it wasn't really an issue.

I've seen some things around the web about 'temporary' sprays that dull the surface without permanently sticking, anyone ever had experience with this?

Just curious!

jhiker

Does it all come in as separate geometry - the zip teeth, the zip backing fabric, etc. or do you have to split it up in KS?

deniszen

Quote from: DMerzIII on May 30, 2017, 11:03:10 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the limitations with this would be that it doesn't work so well with reflective surfaces and also transparency is a no-go because it just confuses the software with the changing refractions. Did you do any kind of 'surface' preparation here before hand? I would think this leather case was 'diffuse' enough that it wasn't really an issue.

I've seen some things around the web about 'temporary' sprays that dull the surface without permanently sticking, anyone ever had experience with this?

Just curious!

Hi,
you-re right. Reflective and transparent objects are impossible to "scan" if you don't use a spray to dull the surface. Here's a great tut about this:
http://bit.ly/2flg7nI

I've never tried. Until now only matte objects.

deniszen

Quote from: jhiker on May 31, 2017, 01:05:11 AM
Does it all come in as separate geometry - the zip teeth, the zip backing fabric, etc. or do you have to split it up in KS?

Hi,
you get one geometry. If you want you can retopo (rebuild) the surface using a 3D software like 3D Coat, ZBrush etc. Here I used the model as I got it from Reality Capture. I just used different specular maps since the zip is more reflective than the leather. I could have used a transparency map to isolate the zip and assign a metal surface using the material graph editor, but it's just a test.

DMerz III

Creative Shrimp does a great tutorial with a slightly different workflow, but an excellent job of introducing a complete noob like myself to the idea.

http://www.creativeshrimp.com/free-photo-scanning-tutorial.html

I believe he uses all free software in this example, but I imagine Reality Capture works in a similar way. Instead of using Cycles to do the final render, you could bring the geometry into Keyshot as Deniszen has done.