import rhino bug - block instances

Started by andy.engelkemier, March 01, 2011, 01:21:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andy.engelkemier

I just noticed this today.
If there are block instances in the Rhino scene, it will be absolution destroyed when coming in to keyshot, as far as position and rotation goes.

I took the same file and simply removed them all, then it was fine. Maybe we can fix whatever is going on in the translator?

guest84672

Maybe you can provide an example? That would be most helpful. Send it directly to me. Much appreciated.

Thanks,
Thomas

andy.engelkemier

I just created that one, and it fails. There is more than one arrow, and they should all be standing up.

hope that helps.

andy.engelkemier

Any progress on this one? I'd like to have designers start using block instances here especially for heavy geometry. Ideally they would come into keyshot as an instance as well, to keep file size small and maybe decrease memory needs.
An example would be the cavity in a double oven. That's a lot of geometry. It would be good to have the entire insides instanced.
If you do get on your way for that, please also ensure nested instances work properly. Example...3 instances of racks inside an oven, then the entire oven with the 3 racks instanced as a whole.
This should produce 6 instances of racks, and 2 instances of the cavity.

I hadn't tested the latest build for instances yet for this. I figured someone would say something if it was fixed.

guest84672

This is not yet supported. We are looking into this.

guest84672

andy.engelkemier

I like how close those two posts are together. Seems like you found what's happening and quickly found a good solution for it.
Please ensure nested instances will be ok. Often times in a file tree from ProE and other applications you'll see something like this:

roller-
   wheel-
      rubberwheel- this is the only layer with a part.

This results in 3 instance definition even though it's only 1 part. It's sort of dumb, but it happens. Normally position will be the same, but if they were defined at different points originally then that Could cause them to jump, so probably best to test that out. I forget to account for that when making the arrow file.

hope that helps.

guest84672

Does the file you've posted contain nested instances? If not, then please provide.

andy.engelkemier

yes, they are nested a few times actually.

guest84672

guest84672

Yes? All instances are separate, but kept in their respective groups. We'll include shortly.

andy.engelkemier

were you able to work it out to actually instance the geometry in keyshot also in order to keep file size down? If so, that's awesome! If not....no big deal, still cool that you've got this fixed up.

Hopefully the new version is coming soon. I hear we're installing on all the designers computers now that the payment finally went through. I wish that didn't take so long. Sorry, out of my hands.

guest84672

Update is coming shortly. There are a few outstanding Rhino import items we need to implement.

For now, all of the geometry is being duplicated. No instancing.

Thanks for the order! Much appreciated.