Computer Sluggish After Quitting Keyshot

Started by m2tts, March 02, 2011, 11:17:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

m2tts

My machine is really sluggish after quitting KeyShot 2.2.45 (Dell Precision M4400 quad core; Nvidia M1700: Win7 Professional 64bit). The cores are all running erratically around 30% when normally they barely crack 5% when idle. This can go on for more than half an hour. I can't see anything in the running processes that take up this bandwidth, and again, it's only after quitting Keyshot. It seems to not be letting go of something.

KeyShot

I have not heard of this issue before. KeyShot does not leave any processes behind after quitting. It could be that your operating system is performing a cleanup after running KeyShot. Dince KeyShot uses the cpu cores fully the OS may postpone various tasks until KeyShot is done.

-- Henrik

m2tts

Well, I'm in no way a tech expert, but if windows was postponing doing something, wouldn't that use less CPU time rather than more?

KeyShot

Not if it starts doing it after you quit KeyShot.

ToffLomo

I'm seeing the same thing on Dell Precision m6500 - tend to have a restart after a heavy Keyshot session

ToffLomo

Any comments regarding this guys? When I first mentioned this via support I was told this hasn't been reported by anyone else. This seems to be something going on since version 2.2. I also find that I can't really do anything else on the machine while a render is running, while in the past I was able to carry on with pretty much anything in the background.

guest84672

After you quit KeyShot, are there still KeyShot processes running? How is RAM usage?

ToffLomo

Hi Thomas,

No there don't seem to be any processes left running after quitting keyshot.

I'm getting used to having to restart after running Keyshot.

guest84672

Really strange. We will keep out eyes open. Sorry if I already asked question, but what OS are you running?

Speedster

For whatever it's worth, I'm also running Win7x64, with 16 gigs, and have not experienced this problem.  After a long KS session, I usually jump right to Photoshop CS5 or SolidWorks, and all seems well.

Just curious- does KS store temps that don't clean out after closing a session? 

Bill G

guest84672

No it doesn't - everything is held in RAM.

guest84672

Win 7 64 bit is what we are running here - never seen it.

Chad Holton

I run the same exact OS and haven't seen an issue either. If it were me, I would keep an eye on the task manager, before and after closing KeyShot. I would think something would show in the "Processes" tab if the CPU usage is at 30% (be sure to sort by CPU usage).

ToffLomo

Dell Precision M series seems to be the common denominator in this case....