Main Menu

Nice to have

Started by chriskup, June 01, 2017, 08:12:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chriskup

Hey everybody,

fell in love with keyshot 4 years ago and have been using it on a daily basis since. Every new update makes things better, but as always there are things that can be improved :)

I will post more ideas soon but for now let's start with this one:

Mouse gesture wheel
You will know this if you are an alias or solidworks user. This can be 4 or 8 functions and/or customizable. Think this would be a lot faster than keyboard shortcuts. What do you think?

Speedster

I'm a SolidWorks power user, and not a big fan of the mouse gesture wheel, that always gets in the way or activates at just the wrong time.  Ditto that blasted tool tab that pops up right over where I'm working.  I've disabled both.
Bill G

chriskup

@ speedster: Interesting! I use a customized solidworks interface and use mouse gestures all the time for common sketch tools and features. Never had an issue and it speeds up my process too. How do you accidentally click the right mouse button AND move the cursor in SW  ? And moving the cursor to the feature icon or through the drop down menu is more reliable and faster? Only thing that comes to my mind that you are using would be the "search command" Well some people like it some do not I guess:)

Next "nice to have":
Copy position. This can get very handy when you have multiple different concepts that you want exactly in the same position for best lighting. Maybe thats a personal problem and there is a way around this? So far copy and pasting all 6 values has been time consuming and this should be pretty easy to implement. There is even enough space there for another button:) Anybody else run into this?

mattjgerard

Copy/paste positions.

^^^^^ This has been on many people's list for a long time. There are ways to do this using the position tool with the pick and rest options, but its not very intuitive. Took me a while to get used to using it, and it doesn't work all the time.

Speedster

QuoteCopy/paste positions.
+1!  It's a pain! 

What I have been doing lately is drop all of the variations into a SolidWorks assembly so I can pick and choose in identical cameras and lighting.  Increases file size but is a lot faster in the long run.

Bill G

TpwUK

Sounds like the Multi-Material feature coming in KS7 might be just what you need here then

Martin

INNEO_MWo

Quote from: mattjgerard on June 02, 2017, 09:42:31 AM
Copy/paste positions.

^^^^^ This has been on many people's list for a long time. There are ways to do this using the position tool with the pick and rest options, but its not very intuitive. Took me a while to get used to using it, and it doesn't work all the time.

Copy and paste position is available in KeyShot 7.

DriesV

Quote from: MWo on June 02, 2017, 11:28:21 AM

Beat me to it...  :)
It is indeed.

Dries

INNEO_MWo

Quote from: DriesV on June 02, 2017, 11:35:42 AM

Beat me to it...  :)
It is indeed.

Dries

And I thank you a ton for this feature!

chriskup

Quote from: mattjgerard on June 02, 2017, 09:42:31 AM
Copy/paste positions.

Nice! See you guys already solved my problems before I was able to communicate them:)

Next "nice to have":
Basic effects like blur, sharpen, distort in the Keyshot material graph. Use case: Rain drops on the shown water bottle. You generate the opacity mask via the texture "spots". To get a round drop you need a slight blur on the bump map (otherwise it looks flat). This feature would allow you to generate a lot more materials inside of keyshot without using external textures maps or programs to make bump maps out of them. What do you think?

richardfunnell

We've definitely heard the request for more image adjustment and can see the benefit of having some of that functionality.

Regarding your use case: have you tried adjusting the Falloff slider for the Spots? It should give you a smoother transition on the edges instead of a sharp edge.
Same goes for distortion, it's a slider in spots (and other procedural textures).
The procedural textures are pretty powerful and have lots of adjustments and tweaks. It may help to go through each and see what the sliders do!

chriskup

@richardfunnell: Willgibbons told me the same on instagram. Thank for the screenshot and you are right this does what I am talking about, but it means that you will have two different "spots" with different values that are not linked. My idea is that you use one "spot" and run it to transparency and you run another one through a blur effect to the bump map. This way you only have one source which you can modify an link it to the needed map typ. Hope this makes sense (that's why I added a photoshopped screenshot)

DriesV

Quote from: chriskup on June 06, 2017, 11:14:02 AM
@richardfunnell: Willgibbons told me the same on instagram. Thank for the screenshot and you are right this does what I am talking about, but it means that you will have two different "spots" with different values that are not linked. My idea is that you use one "spot" and run it to transparency and you run another one through a blur effect to the bump map. This way you only have one source which you can modify an link it to the needed map typ. Hope this makes sense (that's why I added a photoshopped screenshot)

It makes perfect sense. And your thinking of doing it as clean as possible with a single input texture is great. However, it is not as straightforward to implement as it may seem. :)
Notice that you currently cannot run a Texture through a Utility node and then apply it as Bump. This is a limitation in the current implementation.

Your request is noted though! ;)

Dries

chriskup

@DriesV: thanks for the feedback and that you understand what I am trying to explain ;D Totally understand that there is a limited in implementation and what I have seen there are already so many nice new features in Keyshot  7. So big props and keep making and amazing software better every time.