A deeper foray into Cloudy Plastics

Started by Despot, June 03, 2017, 07:34:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Despot

Playing around with the new Plastic (Cloudy) material type.

Probably pushing the values too far as I'm getting fireflies

Josh3D

Creepy! But I like it. What are your settings?

KeyShot

Very cool. There is a new update coming that should reduce the noise. It would be great if you could share your "noisy" scene with us at beta@luxion.com

Magnus Skogsfjord

Oh, is that the creepy child munching fella from Pan's labyrinth? Supernice material!

Will Gibbons

KeyShot

We did find and solve an issue today that could cause random noise in the cloudy plastic. This is fixed in the next update.

Despot

Thanks guys, I really do appreciate your comments.

Josh : I've attached a screenshot of my settings for the first render

Magnus :
Yes ! It is the Pale Child Eater from Pan's Labyrinth

Henrik :
Thanks, I will re-render with the new update

guest84672

This is interesting. I would think you'd want to use the translucent material to achieve this kind of look. Have you tried?

Despot

Quote from: thomasteger on June 07, 2017, 11:56:50 AM
This is interesting. I would think you'd want to use the translucent material to achieve this kind of look. Have you tried?

Yes I've tried Thomas, this new material in 7 Beta is the only material (in my opinion) that gives you a believable translucent plastic. It looks markedly different from the Translucent (advanced)

I use Octane Render and really like the look of it's SSS shader and in the past had wished that I could get the same look out of KS - well, with Cloudy Plastic I can :)

DriesV

It is also my experience that Cloudy Plastic looks better than Translucent on geometry with thin sections.

Dries

Esben Oxholm

Josh3D

I'm mimicking your settings and seeing the same. Will test further. Thanks John.