Main Menu

Table de Vignoble

Started by Magnus Skogsfjord, June 08, 2017, 04:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magnus Skogsfjord

Quote from: Despot on August 02, 2017, 02:39:15 AM
Astounding stuff on these close-ups Magnus, my favourite shot is the glass pitcher/jug :)
Thank you John! Always appreciate your comments :)

Quote from: DriesV on August 02, 2017, 02:45:55 AM
It is what happens when people are speechless. :)

The clarity and detail is indeed astounding.
Hah, well.. I don't know about that. Once again, thanks for your assistance on this, Dries! And thank you for your kind words:)

Will Gibbons

Though I've mentioned it elsewhere, it bears repeating. Stunning work. All praise, no criticism.

Magnus Skogsfjord

Quote from: Will Gibbons on August 02, 2017, 06:46:39 AM
Though I've mentioned it elsewhere, it bears repeating. Stunning work. All praise, no criticism.
Thank you so much Will! Always nice to hear :)

Rex

Speedster

Well, flat out the finest KS rendering I've ever seen!  And good God, the wine even has a meniscus! 
Bill G

Magnus Skogsfjord

Quote from: Rex on August 04, 2017, 01:57:45 PM
Magnusifcient!
Hah! That's a new one. Thank you Rex!:)

Quote from: Speedster on August 04, 2017, 02:53:07 PM
Well, flat out the finest KS rendering I've ever seen!  And good God, the wine even has a meniscus! 
Wow.. That's really quite the compliment, Bill! Really honored by that. Glad you noticed the meniscus too:)

Cheers!

Tetsuoo

Alright, I agree with everything said above; it's amazing. But am I the only one chocked by the reflective oily grapes ? Even freshly cleaned with water, I'm not sure it would look like that. Any thoughts on this ? For now the grapes are more artistic than realistic to me, like an oil painting. Which is nice as well. Just a little less glossiness could make a difference in my humble opinion.
The rest is totally realistic, I can't find a single flaw :)

Magnus Skogsfjord

Quote from: Tetsuoo on August 06, 2017, 06:02:55 AM
Alright, I agree with everything said above; it's amazing. But am I the only one chocked by the reflective oily grapes ? Even freshly cleaned with water, I'm not sure it would look like that. Any thoughts on this ? For now the grapes are more artistic than realistic to me, like an oil painting. Which is nice as well. Just a little less glossiness could make a difference in my humble opinion.
The rest is totally realistic, I can't find a single flaw :)
Hi Tetsuuoo! Thanks for your elaborate comment and C&C! It's greatly appreciated. I'm not sure if I agree with your view on the grapes, but I will admit that your may be into something. They might seem a tad too glossy, making them look a bit too moist/soft. I'm still not sure though, even with your accurate description. But, I have gone completely blind on this image with all the hours that has gone into it. Either way: I really appreciate all views! Thanks :)

Speedster

QuoteBut am I the only one chocked by the reflective oily grapes ? Even freshly cleaned with water, I'm not sure it would look like that.
Well, hate to say it, but I agree.  Sort of.

Grapes have a "bloom" on the surface, which is a natural substance called oleanolic acid, which is sort of a dusty looking coating that serves to protect the grapes. 

Having said that, I'm also a fan of "artistic license", and feel that the image benefits from a sharp specular reflection to counter the basically non-reflective surfaces. 

So frankly, I go with the license over absolute accuracy.  This is a work of art (no kidding!) and needed the Master's eye.

Bill G

DriesV

Hmm, tough to tell.
I have personally never seen grapes in a studio lighting setup in real life. :)

I can imagine freshly washed grapes would look quite specular.
But then I don't know if any winemaker actually washes the grapes before crushing them. :)

Dries

Magnus Skogsfjord

Quote from: Speedster on August 07, 2017, 05:14:36 PM
QuoteBut am I the only one chocked by the reflective oily grapes ? Even freshly cleaned with water, I'm not sure it would look like that.
Well, hate to say it, but I agree.  Sort of.

Grapes have a "bloom" on the surface, which is a natural substance called oleanolic acid, which is sort of a dusty looking coating that serves to protect the grapes. 

Having said that, I'm also a fan of "artistic license", and feel that the image benefits from a sharp specular reflection to counter the basically non-reflective surfaces. 

So frankly, I go with the license over absolute accuracy.  This is a work of art (no kidding!) and needed the Master's eye.

Quote from: DriesV on August 08, 2017, 12:28:59 AM
Hmm, tough to tell.
I have personally never seen grapes in a studio lighting setup in real life. :)

I can imagine freshly washed grapes would look quite specular.
But then I don't know if any winemaker actually washes the grapes before crushing them. :)
Well, I have to say, when looking at some reference photos, that I'm a bit inclined to agree with all of you. Even though some washed grapes are fairly glossy:

- Ref 1
- Ref 2

Tetsuoo might be onto something that they might have a slight oily look, but I'm grateful to hear that it still has a good look!

And; if it's tough to tell even for all of you's well trained eyes, it's okay in my book! Either way, I greatly appreciate all of your inputs and kind words!